View Full Version : Artist/Writer collaborative mix experiment

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Vikingmage
August 7th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone was interested in joining in with a little art/writing experiment. I have had this odd idea of creating a small comic for web publication.
However, instead of sitting down and doing it the normal way ie: planning characters, settings, action ... designing things etc ... then drafting out all the pages, craftly scripting each one, I thought it would be fun to do it "on the fly" and work with another person.

So it boils down to creating some pages with no clue about whats going on. Drawing some characters who I have no idea about .. putting them in situations I have no clue about ...
And then handing over the pages to a writer (or writers) to add the words, name the characters, develop a story based on the visual elements presented. After you have done this, you pass the words back to me (I photoshop them on the comic page) and then I attempt to draw another couple of pages using whatever clues/hints or trends seem to be arising from your writing. We bounce the story back and forth, each time adding a little more until we reach a conclusion or total chaos!

It could be weird, it might be surreal, it might not work at all.
But, I suspect it will be fun to try.

So ... I sort of need a writer who is interested in trying something a bit different. This won't be like working on anyother story you have tried.

At the moment I am just doodling backgrounds of alien worlds and spaceships, so its looking a bit trad sci-fi, however the writer could easily make this a dream sequence (by writing the caption "The Dream was always the same..." or some such! and taking me off in another direction)
Interested?

If you want a sample of my drawing (just in case you are worried about surrendering your talent to someone who has just graduated from finger paints this morning) here is my deviantart account (not updated for a couple of years!)
http://greystrangebear.deviantart.com
or my slightly icky (caution if you don't like zombies) webcomic
http://www.drunkduck.com/Zombie_Love/index.php?p=76147
The Zombie Love comic was done on a daily basis, so the art isn't my best (especially in the early episodes when I was experimenting with duplicated panels to get the thing uploaded quickly. I soon dumped that and began drawing full strips! It also varies wildly from very cartoony to quite realistic depending on the story I was telling with that particular episode.)

Kloke
August 8th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I think that sounds like a great idea and i will volunteer my writing services.

K2Boundary
November 16th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hello,

I've been coming to this forum for awhile, but now registered. Anyway, I really don't like the idea of starting a new topic, so I've decided to use this.

I'm also an artist looking to work with a writer on a sci-fi/fantasy type of story. I'm looking for a serious writer who will have some time to devote to a finalized work.

If you're interested, pm me.