PDA

View Full Version : Hellboy 2: The Golden Army

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

FremenWarrior
August 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM
One of the summers "underdog" films but it looks to be a good attempt at a follow up to the previous Hellboy film.

As a fan of the original comics (by Mike Mignola) and the first film (Directed by Guillermo Del Toro , Pan's labyrinth) it looks to be a good, competent film which we all hope will stand alongside or above the first..

Please feel free to say what you enjoyed about the original film, and inform others about upcoming info on the film...(starring Ron Perlman and selma Blair).

thanks...
FW

Evil Agent
August 8th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Excellent film! Better than the first!

I think the only reason it's an "underdog" film is because there was so much blockbuster competition this summer (Dark Knight, Hulk, Indiana Jones, Narnia, Wall-E, etc.). It might not have made as much money as some of the others, but it got pretty good reviews.

Visually, the movie was amazing. Del Toro let his imagination run wild, and it was much more imaginative than the first film. So many cool creatures (trolls, elves, etc.). I think this movie is a great sign of what the Hobbit might look like.

saintjon
August 10th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I will go so far as to say that based on Hellboy II I think Del Toro is a better choice than Jackson for the Hobbit. The Hobbit is a much more whimsical kind of story and in this movie Del Toro shows he has a flair for... whimsy. That shovel-headed death angel thing was pretty cool too. Reminded me of a Final Fantasy boss or summon or something.

Ron Perlman clearly has so much fun playing Hellboy, and they do come up with some pretty good adventures for him, it's hard to say no to Hellboy. The first one was a pleasant surprise, this new one is an improvement. I wouldn't say it's a great movie, but it's a pretty good one. The drinking scene with Abe was hilarious.

FremenWarrior
August 14th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I will go so far as to say that based on Hellboy II I think Del Toro is a better choice than Jackson for the Hobbit. The Hobbit is a much more whimsical kind of story and in this movie Del Toro shows he has a flair for... whimsy. That shovel-headed death angel thing was pretty cool too. Reminded me of a Final Fantasy boss or summon or something.

Ron Perlman clearly has so much fun playing Hellboy, and they do come up with some pretty good adventures for him, it's hard to say no to Hellboy. The first one was a pleasant surprise, this new one is an improvement. I wouldn't say it's a great movie, but it's a pretty good one. The drinking scene with Abe was hilarious.

i have to agree on all counts. Jackson had limitations to his imagination and while producing a fairly faithful trilogy from tolkiens masterpiece he does not have the sense of scale that del toro has. His version and amalgamation of the hellboy comics "seed of destruction" and "the right hand of doom" was fantastic and helped to bring the wierd and fantastic world of Hellboy, abe and the rest of the B.P.R.D to the rest of the world outside of its typical comic settings. What i want to see next is the inclusion of Roger the Homonculus from the comics. He did have a cameo appearence in Hellboy 1 where Myers was walking towards hellboys room for the first time Roger in his comatose unliving state was visible clearly over professor brooms shoulder in a display case.;)

Bengoshi-San
August 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I thought the first Hellboy movie was a joke. I've been a big fan of the Mignola comics. However, my friends and I laughed pretty much throughout the whole movie at how cheezy and bad it was.

I guess in that sense, that it made me laugh means it isn't a complete waste right? By laugh I mean in the same way I laughed when I saw XxX with Vin Diesel, especially the scene where he goes on a stunt-bike-while-in-mid-air-shooting rampage where his feet did not touch the ground for 25 minutes. LOL. Totally lame, but very fun to watch.

Anyway, I haven't seen the 2nd Hellboy movie and probably wont unless I'm totally bored.

Plus it doesn't help that I didn't win the raffle to get an autograph from Blair and Perlman at this previous ny comic con. :p

Wulfa_Jones
August 14th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing it. Based on the trailers it looks to be great fun.

I enjoyed the first film and having read the comic series before was pleased to see that stuck (mostly) to the story line.

The Hellboy Animated movies have also been pretty good.

FremenWarrior
August 18th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing it. Based on the trailers it looks to be great fun.

I enjoyed the first film and having read the comic series before was pleased to see that stuck (mostly) to the story line.

The Hellboy Animated movies have also been pretty good.

Yes I agree Blood and Iron and Sword of Storms were both good and stood out amongst other similar peices of "anime" because of its unique style.

Andols
August 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
I didnt enjoy it as much as the first film.

PigasusPress
August 25th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I didnt enjoy it as much as the first film.

Agreed. I think it'd be easy to make a good case for the sequel being inferior, despite the obvious fact that it's a more 'fun' adventure to watch... not taking itself very seriously, second-time around. I suppose the main problem is that H2 is following so many other superhero films, where lots of fairly-new to cinema comic-book clichés have been done, so - for example - the affecting outsiders-among-us street scene in H2 looks copied from X-Men trilogy.

Still, let's not quibble... Del Toro has turned out yet another fabulous movie, and it really deserves more attention than it's likely to get.

Evil Agent
August 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I still think it's superior to the first film. They're both good, but I found the sequel to be more entertaining, more impressive, and I enjoyed the storyline more as well.