PDA

View Full Version : 80's Childrens Sci-Fi Novel ? British ?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

isoatom
August 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM
HI there,

I have a vague recolection of reading a children's Sci-Fi novel when I alot younger, hmm this would be 20 years ago, or more the mid 80's...

Ok this is all I can remember, I think it might of been set in 2030 or something and the kid went to school which and sits in class which is taught by Robots perhaps? **The main thing I remember in the book is that the city where the character lives has moving Sidewalk/Paths - it think they might of had 3 lanes or something** I thought this was a pretty cool idea back then! I think the City might of been set inside a dome, but probably doesn't narrow it down much! Also I seem to remember the the Cover being Green? but that could of changed on later/prev editions...

all pretty vague I know... if you have any ideas, that would be amazing!! many thanks

Kie

Libo
August 12th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Not sure that this matches all you remember, but school and moving sidewalks reminds me of 'daughter' and 'dull drums' from Anne Mccaffrey's Get Off the Unicorn book of short stories.

isoatom
August 13th, 2008, 03:05 AM
hi there,

thanks for the reply - maybe it is that book - my description is vague to say the least... the era is kinda right, although I dont recognise the cover and I think it was a full book not short stories... will have another look on amazon/ebay - cheers for the reply !

Chuffalump
August 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Sounds vaguely Issac Asimov with the robot teacher. The moving belt transport system also keeps pulling Asimov out of my subconscious for some reason. Couldn't tell you which one though. Andre Norton had roll-walks in Catseye but no robot teachers.

isoatom
August 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Cheers Chuffalump, I'll check em out... thankyou :)

catsrule1
September 3rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
That sounds more like a Magnus, Robot Fighter of comic book fame? I doubt any of Andre Norton's book contained that scene.

isoatom
September 16th, 2008, 02:45 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1058/1461065415_a8804ff987.jpg?v=0

I believe this is it, "War of the computers" I came accross it completely by chance whilst looking at old Sci-Fi Covers... If you look carefully it even says Walkway on the left hand side... thanks for all your help :cool: