PDA

View Full Version : similar to v for vendetta

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

King Bonez Xx
August 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM
(i seached through the forums and could find nothing, and looked for a coimic recommendation thread and found nothing. but, if i missed a thread that answers this question, i apologize for this waste.)

i don't read comics (i used to when i was younger but then believed i was too cool), but when i was at a friend's house i saw his collection and laughed at his childish. he handed me his copy of v for vendetta and told me to read that and get back to him.

needless to say, it was fantastic, and i actually read it twice. then i saw the movie and... eh... anyway, i loved the comic, and was wondering if there was something similar in style or plot (not too similar, mind you ;)).

thanks in advance for the help.

Rob B
August 11th, 2008, 09:54 PM
One comic that might work for you is the Martha Washington (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Washington_(comics)) series by Frank Miller and Dave Gibbons aka Give Me Liberty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Give_Me_Liberty). I consider a minor classic and a terrific near-future dystopic tale. It fell a bit under the radar at the time, but the story was published before Frank went a little crazy with his story telling and has some nice clean art by Dave Gibbons. I believe Dark Horse is reprinting an omnibus (http://www.comicbookbin.com/darkhorsecomicsnews063.html) of all the stories (a four-issue mini-series and a couple of one-shots)

kater
August 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM
(i seached through the forums and could find nothing, and looked for a coimic recommendation thread and found nothing. but, if i missed a thread that answers this question, i apologize for this waste.)

i don't read comics (i used to when i was younger but then believed i was too cool), but when i was at a friend's house i saw his collection and laughed at his childish. he handed me his copy of v for vendetta and told me to read that and get back to him.

needless to say, it was fantastic, and i actually read it twice. then i saw the movie and... eh... anyway, i loved the comic, and was wondering if there was something similar in style or plot (not too similar, mind you ;)).

thanks in advance for the help.

First question to ask is similar in what way? Multi-layered stories, strong characterisation and enough material for several reads? In which case more Moore (:)) is your best bet - Watchmen, Swamp Thing, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell and possibly Promethea.

Contemporary wise there aren't many, Frank Miller's work - Sin City, Rob''s mentioned Give Me Liberty, The Dark Knight Returns and possibly Ronin and 300 (if you haven't seen the movie).

At present I swear by Ed Brubaker, I don't think you can go wrong. My highest recommendation because you liked V would be Sleeper, but Criminal is also an ongoing masterclass. Also worth adding to the list in no particular order: Ex-Machina, Planetary, The Authority, Rising Stars and Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX run. Hope this gets you started.