PDA

View Full Version : Give me something new

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

kater
August 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
We seem to have variants of this thread in other sections so I thought why not here. So what new titles have grabbed you recently?

Air #1: All kinds of madness from this new Vertigo title. Including plane hijacking, terrorists, some weird characters and ... air stewardesses! I wasn't hugely impressed with the art but the story hooked me quickly and the promise of non-existent countries to come looks hopeful.

The Helm #1+2: Highly comic take on 'super' comics. An overweight loser finds a magical helm, jumping the queue of destiny to the Helm's dismay. The helm tries to kill him before discovering that he may be of some value yet.

Universal War One #1+2: With Marvel teaming with European comics publisher Soleil a few of the better European comics are being translated into English with slick production values. This for me is easily the best, a grandiose sf epic with a large cast, fantastic art and although not perfectly translated, very enjoyable read.

Luke_B
August 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks Kater. I'm going to check out Air. Looks interesting.

I don't have anything to contribute, except Locke and Key which you already know about and isn't exactly new anymore, with a hard cover collection due out in the near future.

kater
August 25th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I don't have anything to contribute, except Locke and Key which you already know about and isn't exactly new anymore, with a hard cover collection due out in the near future.

Yeah they left it up in the air (heh) big time, that last page was like 'look how many more stories we can tell if you buy our comic'.

Rob B
August 25th, 2008, 10:14 PM
New isn't something you'd typically ascribe to Superman comics, but Geoff Johns is doing some good things in Action Comics with his re-imagining of Brainiac.

I also like JMS's take on Thor.

kater
August 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Johns' idea is interesting but could lead to 'No I wrote the real Braniac, No I did' problems down the line. Offering a definitive for a character is dangerous because it doesn't leave you a lot of places to go.

Already have the HC copy of JMS first Thor arc, for me he doesn't do much wrong as a writer and having not read his Spidey run I can say that honestly :D

Something I guess some may have missed, Warren Ellis runs a free weekly comic of six pages called Freakangels here (http://www.freakangels.com/) that is 20+ weeks in and quite enjoyable. Mature content though ;)

Rob B
August 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Already have the HC copy of JMS first Thor arc, for me he doesn't do much wrong as a writer and having not read his Spidey run I can say that honestly :D

I liked some of what he did in Spider-man, but not a lot of it. ALso, I hate John Romita, JR's* art which has kept me from continuing to read Spider Man.

*I find his art very ameteurish, unpolished and over-rated. IMHO, THE worst artist working professionally today. Including Liefeld.

kater
August 27th, 2008, 07:22 PM
*I find his art very amateurish, unpolished and over-rated. IMHO, THE worst artist working professionally today. Including Liefeld.

Worse than Liefeld and his moobs (http://i.somethingawful.com/mjolnir/images/livestock~captain.jpg) or Ramos's Wolverine monkey arms and over-sized necks (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/121/299824399_206b588924.jpg?v=0)? I say to thee nay good sir, you art quite mad :D Romita's work on Kick Ass has been solid even if the story isn't half what I'd hoped for.