PDA

View Full Version : Can't recall title of book...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

sycordr
August 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM
The basic story of the book is humanity is gettin ghunted into extinction by an advanced alien race. There is a plan to save what's left of humanity by taking them far far away to a remote planet, then limiting the advance of technology. The idea is to remain so unadvanced that the alien race won't locate the suvivors. A small group of the planners think keeping technology down is a bad idea and take the "mind" of a woman they trust and implant it into a cyborg. Things progress, many many years, people are placed on a new planet and given strict religious orders, to keep technology down. The humans that planned all this live for a really long time, thanks to their technology, and pose as arch angels and angels, thus enforcing said religion. Some of the arch angels are the ones that thought this all a bad idea, and they promoted thinking. They were killed by the other arch angels and one happend to be the wife of the security leader angel... basically, they all killed each other... Many more years go by and the cyborg woman wakes in a bunker, she helps save the prince of one kingdom because she thinks this kingdom and prince are most likely to make advances in technology.... anyone have a clue what book i am talking about here? I'm in Iraq right now, in the Marine Corps, and I'm terribly bored. I'd really like to either read this book again, or the one that comes after it. Please help, thanks!

B5B7
August 25th, 2008, 05:52 AM
This sounds like David Weber's fairly recent 'Off Armageddon Reef'.
Personally I thought the premise of hiding at a low-tech level was a bad move [especially the memory wiping].
However, I will still read the sequels. More details on this wikipage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_Armageddon_Reef)