PDA

View Full Version : Blakes 7 remake in the works???

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

FremenWarrior
September 3rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Blakes 7, popular BBC TV series and in depth sci-fi action. the rights to blakes 7 have been purchased and it is quite possible that a remake is being thought about. after confusion at the remake of battlestar galactica and the mixed thoughts it aroused is it a good idea to remake something like blakes 7. with its deep sci fi plots and twists that were let down by the computer technology at the time.

What are your views on this development and what are your opinions of the plots and characters of the original???

Hobbit
September 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
According to the magazines this month the project has been greenlighted by Sky 1 TV here in the Uk (and as a result the Sky Prisoner remake has been left to others.)

There are members of production who have been involved in the Big Finish productions, yet none of the original cast have been involved.

My initial reaction is ho-hum. Though I enjoyed the original as a 14 year old, it was never particularly original in the first place.

Some might say that makes it ripe for a reimagining but I would rather see something new and original myself rather than a remake.

I feel the same about The Day The Earth Stood Still. :)

Mark / Hobbit

Werthead
September 5th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Blakes 7, popular BBC TV series and in depth sci-fi action. the rights to blakes 7 have been purchased and it is quite possible that a remake is being thought about. after confusion at the remake of battlestar galactica and the mixed thoughts it aroused is it a good idea to remake something like blakes 7. with its deep sci fi plots and twists that were let down by the computer technology at the time.

What are your views on this development and what are your opinions of the plots and characters of the original???

Mixed thoughts? Time Magazine called BSG the best thing on TV in 2006. Those complaining about the series not continuing the original series account for perhaps 0.000001% of the audience. They are a tiny but vocal minority.

Anyway, B7 is slightly different. Whilst the old BSG was very cheesy and didn't do its premise justice, B7 did do a very good job of painting the moral ambiguity of its supposed 'heroes'. It didn't shirk away from calling them terrorists or pointing out that their supposedly 'just' actions often killed civilians, nor from asking exactly what tearing down the Federation was going to achieve aside from plunging the Galaxy into total chaos and resulting in mass atrocities. It also addressed Blake's growing cult of personlity quite interestingly in the second season. And of course the cast was excellent.

I think it could be remade very well. There are a few actors who could do Avon (James Purefoy, Colin Salmon) and if it keeps the dark ambiguity of the original it could be very interesting indeed. However, there's also the chance they will dumb it down, sanitise it and produce something tiresome. Sky One don't have a very good track record at creating original material.

Pete M
September 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM
in depth sci-fi action.

What is in depth sf?
I watched B7 when it was first released and found it a bit of a hoot most of the time. It had its moments but as you say special effectes then were poor and low budget. Computers in those days were referred to as 'electronic brains' and were not understood by the general public and in particular by TV producers, so they were often silly and would explode if asked a stupid question. They also had to be very visible with flashing lights and moving parts.
The plots were thin and the characters inconsistant, changing sides and ideals in every episode. For much of the late series there were only five members of Blakes seven and Blake himself was absent for many of the later episodes. But despite all this I never missed an episode if I could help it.
In answer to your main question, I feel it is rarely a good idea to revive something as dated as this series, but I have to admit it worked with Dr Who.