View Full Version : HBO True Blood - Based on Sookie Stackhouse books

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

hawkwind
September 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Anybody seen the first episode? I thought it was very good. After attempts of the Dresden Files, Tanya Huff vampire novels and several other books into TV series I find that HBO got it right. Unfortunately HBO says that only 1.4 million people tuned in to watch, which does not look good for the series. I like the fact that it is geared for adults. Definitely looks promising.

Rob B
September 11th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. I haven't read the books and even though I don't care too much for Paquin, I think she's got the stuff to carry the show.

Amaunette
September 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I read some of the Stackhouse books and just saw a banner here on SFFworld advertising "True Blood." I don't have HBO (or cable, for that matter) so it will be some time before I can actually watch the show, but I like the lead actress, and I think it's an excellent idea for a TV show. It could be better than the books (which got a little soap-opera-y for me). I'm excited to see it as soon as I can. Do you think they'll diverge much from the books?

hawkwind
September 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I haven't read the books myself. I hate to say it but the cover art put me off. It might be a good thing that I didn't read the books. From what I have heard it follows the books fairly well. Of course they changed a few things.

hawkwind
September 23rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Aumenette, I just picked up Dead Until Dark a couple days ago. Figure since I was watching the show I should read the books. I have to say that the show follows the books so closely, even using a lot of the same dialogue that it turned me off reading the book. In fact a lot of the details in the book are the same in the show. Description of clothes, color of the cars and so on. Actually I was quite impressed with that. I will continue watching the show as I am thoroughly enjoying it but can't say the same for the book. Don't care for the writing that much. Plus reading it is like watching a rerun of the show.

hawkwind
October 7th, 2008, 10:41 AM
HBO just announced that they have ordered a second season of True Blood. Thank goodness because I am really enjoying it.

Colonel Worf
October 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Best new series. I'm really enjoying it. I think it's going to be around for a while.

fluffy bunny
October 10th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Up to episode 5 so far and I'm enjoying things so far. A little sex obsessed but generally well handled by the six feet under chaps even if it reminds me a little of heroes.

It's good to have that sense of knowing where all this is going (note I make a distinction with lost and alias which overstay their welcome).

Eldanuumea
January 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM
After turning on my daughter to Sookie Stackhouse, she told me about this series. We don't have HBO, but I've seen internet clips, and it seems interesting. I wish they'd stick to the book's plot elements, though......for instance, why have Bill stake Long Shadow instead of Eric? Just to bring in the "Tribunal"?

BTW, as for the cover art, it reminds me of the work of a famous Louisiana folk artist, Clementine Hunter. Most of her paintings have people or angels sort of hovering in the sky, their hair trailing behind them.

Eldanuumea
January 23rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
http://ericnorthman.net/forum/index.php

My daughter has just opened a brand new forum dedicated to Eric Northman. If you find Fangtasia's owner fascinating, you might want to check it out and help her get started.:D