PDA

View Full Version : Hi! If YOU can identify this book 4me youre a SAINT!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

valis
September 17th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Hi All,

While at school in the UK in 1975 our English class studied a Scifi novel - I guess written between 1960 and 1975.

As part of the project I remember us having to glue on our own front covers!:eek: My drawing a sketch of a Golden Sword:confused:

I remember the story pretty clearly. It concerning a boy in the future. The country he lived in - it could have been the UK in the future? - was divided into two seperate halves. I seem to remember their being called "SUBURBIA" and "CONURBIA"?

The boy grew up in the city half, being told that the countryside half was evil.

The boy escaped the city and found out the countryside was good. I remember there being artificial lighting throughout the countryside!

Id love it if one of you good folks on this wonderful SFFWORLD Forum could please tell me the title of this book and the name of the male author.

Ive tried googling this for a long time without success! Please please help!! Its been bugging me since I first read it in 1975!!! :(

Sincerest thanks,

Valis :)

Fanderay
September 21st, 2008, 01:25 AM
Hi Valis,

This sounds like a book I read years ago - The Guardians by John Christopher. It certainly contains something about the "conurbs".

Hope this is the right one :)