View Full Version : Fringe

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

sic's mom
September 30th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Has anyone out there seen this new show? I really like it. It is about the sciences that are on the "fringe" of becoming reality or possible. In some ways it reminds me of X-Files when it first started. You have the FBI agent and the guys that your not sure if they are good guys or bad. You have the "mad genius scientist" played by John Noble (who we all know from LOTR). I think he has some of the best lines in the show. It is on Tues nights on Fox.

Alex
September 30th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I've seen the first 2 episodes and while I like the idea I'm not sure what I think about the series yet. In my opinion it's a science fiction series and the science part is sorely lacking in my opinion.

The first season of X-files is in my opinion vastly superior as they manage to blend science and fiction perfectly.

Fringe doesn't blend, rather it tries to smother you with scientific-phrases and paradigms that just makes the series comical if you have a scientific background and know-how.

I'm a scientist by the way=)

I will still give fringe the benifit of the doubt and watch a few episodes more but if I hear more statements like "Ahh interesting, it apears that the mitosis is accelerated due to loss of function of cell-cycle inhibitors" I will not continue to watch the series.

hawkwind
September 30th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Interesting idea but don't care for some of the actors. I like the mad scientist but not quite liking Joshua Jackson and the woman who plays the FBI agent. I will continue watching for a few more episodes and hope those actors grow into their characters.

sic's mom
September 30th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I've seen the first 2 episodes and while I like the idea I'm not sure what I think about the series yet. In my opinion it's a science fiction series and the science part is sorely lacking in my opinion.

The first season of X-files is in my opinion vastly superior as they manage to blend science and fiction perfectly.

Fringe doesn't blend, rather it tries to smother you with scientific-phrases and paradigms that just makes the series comical if you have a scientific background and know-how.

I'm a scientist by the way=)

I will still give fringe the benifit of the doubt and watch a few episodes more but if I hear more statements like "Ahh interesting, it apears that the mitosis is accelerated due to loss of function of cell-cycle inhibitors" I will not continue to watch the series.

That's why I am soooo glad I am not a scientist, cop, doctor or lawyer. I don't think I could enjoy anything on TV. That's why I never watched that recent show that was on Las Vegas? I think that was the name. Anyway once was enough to tell me they had no idea how the real Vegas is run. So I will give Fringe some more time. And no, I don't think it is anywhere near as good as X-Files was but when people ask me for a description I can't think of any other show like it.

Wulfa_Jones
October 6th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I imagine if they ever made a show about the exciting world of IT, I'd be picking massive holes in the plot, but thankfully, there isn't much you can do with my career to make it exciting.

However, I am enjoying Fringe. The characters are all pretty solid. I like the "social" interaction between Walter and Peter - some very funny and tragic moments.

I like the little hints - that something else is going on with Peter and that Olivia has some connection to The Pattern.

So far the individual episodes have been exciting to watch and I'm interested to see how the show progresses. The only issue I do have is with Massive Dynamic. Other than the company name being utterly rubbish, I do hope that every episodes doesn't revolve around them being responsible or owning the technology that can resolve the problem of the week. I get that they have something to do with it, but a bit of variety would go a long way.

Tickle
March 3rd, 2009, 04:53 AM
I really like this series. It is the first series of this type that I actually spend time watching since X-Files's first couple of seasons. I like the characters, especially Walter - The Scientist. The plot lines are interesting and it still weaves the episodes together. I'm looking forward to see how the season ends.

Randy M.
March 11th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I enjoy it. Some of it reminds me of The X-Files, some of the old British Quatermass series, or at least the movies I've seen based on it.

I'm not strong in the sciences, so the jargon doesn't bother me. Besides, it's the type of tv show that I expect to smooth out the implausibilities with hand-waving gibberish. As long as the show's other qualities work, I'm okay with it.

Randy M.

Tidus
March 23rd, 2009, 06:14 AM
I find the show interesting but I wouldn't put it on my top 10 List. I find the science and the action holds my interest but some of the actors just don't seem to be right for the parts they play.

Siberian
March 9th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I tried to watch Fringe when it first aired and didn't like it much. It seemed like a poor X-files clone. However, I gave it another change a few weeks ago and I was hooked. I think the story and characters improve greatly by the end of Season 1. It's also the only SciFi show left on TV (I don't count fluff like Sanctuary or Warehouse 13, at least Fringe uses some real science ideas).

Siberian
March 9th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Here's a good write up on why you should watch it:
http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2012/03/09/you-should-be-watching-fringe/