PDA

View Full Version : looking for a story, probably from the 50's?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

shusaku
October 4th, 2008, 02:34 PM
It was about a scientist who was trying to force intelligence on some kind of small creatures by putting them in this controlled environment and subjecting them to all kinds of weather control and stuff, they has a very fast life span and eventually developed a civilization. I read this I think in the 60's, could be from the 40's or 50's. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lowlander
October 4th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I'm not 100 % sure but this sounds a lot like Theodore Sturgeon's Microcosmic God. This novelet was written in 1941. If this is the right story it shouldn't be too difficult to find since it's has been collected in many Sturgeon collections and various SF anthologies.

shusaku
October 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks, that's it, I feel so stupid. It's such a classic story and my mind was just drawing a blank. Thanks again.

Randy M.
October 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM
After reading the Sturgeon, you might want to look into George R. R. Martin's "Sandkings." It makes for a good pairing.

Randy M.

rhob60
October 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I don't recall the title but I'm pretty sure that this story is in The Science Fiction Hall of Fame volume 1. It also served as the basis for an original Outer Limits called Wolf something or other.