PDA

View Full Version : Help with this dog book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

fonebone77
November 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
I dont think this was a particurally obscure book, but I can not remember the title or the author.

It involved some children that were in a crash landing on a planet. On the planet were some dog/wolf type creatures that had evolved telepathic abilities and lived as multi organism units. I think it was 5 of the animals to a unit. They were basically middle ages/feudal in the tech and politics of the world.

I dont really remember any specifics beyond this but any help would be apreciated.

uncwilult02
November 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM
Thats funny, I'm reading that right now! It's Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge, and so far it is terrific and a bit confusing.

Ropie
November 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
It's Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge, and so far it is terrific and a bit confusing.
Apart from Olaf Stapledon's Sirius, it is the only SF dog book isn't it?? :)

uncwilult02
November 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
I have a copy of Shaggy Planet around here somewhere, I think humans were disappearing and it turned out they were being turned into dogs by a virus maybe? Entertaining but more of a quick and easy kind of read.

uncwilult02
November 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
I also remember a short story were mankind has died off and left the cities to super intelligent dogs they had created. In the end the dogs fly to Africa to find gorillas, hoping to train and breed them back into man, as they miss their masters. Thats a good one if anyone can remember the name of it.

fonebone77
November 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the assistance. I dont know why I have such a problem remembering Vernor's name.