PDA

View Full Version : Books with recording goggles or wormhole that gives vision through space-time

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

losttimefound
December 2nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
There are two books I'm remembering, I think.

The first involves goggles which a lot of the world's citizens wear. These goggles record everything they see, and this works to curb crime because the goggles can send the feed straight to the police. Mostly older society members would wear them.

The second book involves a businessman who invents a technology which allows him to see things happening far away, which the characters later discover can allow them to see through time as well. It's a pin-point worm-hole from what I can remember.

I can't remember which book leads to it - but there's a backlash amongst the world's youth. Because they essentially have no means to privacy, they basically start walking around naked or making out in public parks. It's a kind of - "If you're going to look anyway, I might as well enjoy myself" kind of mentality.

Can anyone help me pin-down these novels/writers? I feel like I must have read these books roughly 10 years ago as a teenager.

losttimefound
December 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
I've located one of the books: "The Light of Other Days"; co-written by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter in 2000.

Check it out if you're interested, and help me find those goggles!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Light_of_Other_Days
"The Light of Other Days is a 2000 science fiction novel by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter, which explores the development of wormhole technology to the point where information can be passed instantaneously between points in the space-time continuum...."