PDA

View Full Version : Survivors anyone?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

GinaK
December 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Am I the only one enjoying this? I'm not usually a fan of Brittish SciFi (Doctor Who being the exception) but I find this show very addivtive. Last night's episode (3) was the best so far hopefully this show will keep going from stregth to strength. I never saw the original but was a bit curious as to how it compares.

kged
December 3rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, it's pretty good. The only problem I have with it is that it's largely set here in my hometown, and thus I can't help but be jarred out of enjoying the programme by seeing continuity errors. Example: the rich Kuwaiti guy was depicted as living in the building from which I am posting now! It's the local Civil Justice Centre, and I'm pretty sure there are no fancy apartments here. Also, he was driving an Audi R8, and overnight he managed to drive from this building to some point on the way to Blackburn...what? He would have been hundreds of miles away, driving one of those monsters for that long. Similarly the other characters spent all day in the opening episode, and managed to travel about half a mile!

But these are petty points, of the kind which always spoil my enjoyment of anything set in Manchester. Those aside, the show remains a good watch.

Did anyone else watching it see the early bits, with the characters waking up in a nearly silent, almost depopulated world, and think "Wow, I'd love that..."?:eek::o

Wulfa_Jones
December 9th, 2008, 12:51 PM
kged - Not that I watch it much anymore, but that used to happen with Hollyoaks for me. You'd see characters walking down one road and then they turn a corner and end up a mile away. It is set in Chester, but a lot it is shot in the suburbs of Liverpool as that is where the production company is based.

Back to topic, Survivors has been quite enjoyable so far. Having never seen the original, I can't really comment on if it is an improvement or not, but I'm enjoying it and will be interested to see how it develops.

JunkMonkey
December 30th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Am I the only one enjoying this? I'm not usually a fan of Brittish SciFi (Doctor Who being the exception) but I find this show very addivtive. Last night's episode (3) was the best so far hopefully this show will keep going from stregth to strength. I never saw the original but was a bit curious as to how it compares.

I saw the original when it was first shown at it left a lasting impression on me. I still remember scenes and ideas it threw up all these years later.
I managed 5 minutes of the remake. Not because of any unhappiness with the script but because I hated the style. I was irritated by the constant moving camera and needless rapid cutting which modern TV substitutes for having confidence in the actors to do their job and become the characters they portray, TV used to have confidence in the audience not to get bored after fifteen seconds without new shiny distractions popping up.