PDA

View Full Version : This is driving me nuts!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

rebeldreams
December 13th, 2008, 10:51 AM
OK, you guys are my last hope!

Many years ago (more than 20!) I read a novel that may or may not have been YA, about a man who returned home from a mission to deep space completely mute and in deep depression. He was assigned a "servitor" who resembled, as far as I recall, a large Roman Centurion's helmet flaoting off the ground (I believe its name was "Wulf" or "Wulff" or something like it.

The servitor's job was to figure out what happened to him on his mission and help him recover.

Through flashbacks, it is revealed that the man (named "Joh" or something like that) had befriended jelly-fish-like "gasbag" aliens after being stranded on their planet, and they finally helped him to escape, sacrificing their lives for him. This drove him insane with guilt.

I'm pretty sure he ended up committing suicide at the very end of the book. Naturally, this had a deep effect on me as a ten-year-old boy, and it's stuck with me ever since. As you can tell, I remember a lot about it, except for the title and author!

Please help! :-)

felicehl
January 19th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Sounds like it could be Wulfsyarn (http://www.amazon.com/Wulfsyarn-Mosaic-Phillip-Mann/dp/068811881X) by Phillip Mann?

rebeldreams
January 20th, 2009, 07:38 AM
That's the one! Thank you so very much for this: I will be buying it immediately!

Colonel Worf
February 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I just bought this for $1 on a blind buy the other day. Cool.

rebeldreams
February 20th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I just bought this for $1 on a blind buy the other day. Cool.

I forgot how wonderful it truly was... that and the fact that now I'm older and (hopefully) wiser, it speaks even more deeply to me.