PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying sci-fi book from the 80's

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

hobokengirl
December 16th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I read a series of stories -- possibly a whole book -- when I was a kid that I remember loving, but I have no idea who the author was or what the titles were. I was hoping someone here might know.

I read the stories in the 1980's; they could have been written earlier.

The stories involved a group of adolescents with special powers. One of the powers was that of being a "Sensitive" -- someone who could feel others' pain. If trained, Sensitives could become powerful healers -- if not, they suffered greatly.

I'd appreciate any leads!

Thanks!!

ivanj
December 17th, 2008, 04:57 AM
It sounds as if you are looking for the 'People' books by Zenna Henderson. The book made up of individuals stories is Pilgrimage the other book that continues from there is No Different Flesh.

psikeyhackr
December 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM
That sounds like it. Bill Shatner even did a movie from it.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0069072/

It combined several of her short stories into one.

psik

Omphalos
December 27th, 2008, 05:55 PM
If you are not 100% certain about the time you read them, and the stories are not The People stories, then look at Octavia Bulter's Parable series. Book one was written in the early 90's and is about a young girl who as a result of her mother's addiction to a certain drug was born with crippling empathy.

Highroller
March 19th, 2010, 07:43 PM
That definately sounds like the People stories. Both books were combined and 1 additional story was added to a Scif-Fi book club edition I had. In the first story the kids get a new school teacher that turns out to be one of them. Some of the "lifeboats" when they came to earth were lost from the main groups. So the teacher is a decendant of a lost couple of the people. They have a variety of powers but some of them more general ones are gender specific.