View Full Version : For those that liked Deadwood

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

ChrisW
December 21st, 2008, 02:10 AM
is Rome just as good or better?

Oh and is anyone else dissappointed there was no shoot out at the end? All that tension building and it ends with a whimper:(

Evil Agent
December 21st, 2008, 01:51 PM
Yes, I was very frustrated with the final episode of Deadwood! Like you said, I wanted some kind of big shootout! But, as usual with HBO, they were planning on doing a few more seasons but it got cancelled.

Rome is amazing. A bit of a slow start, but it gets really good after a couple episodes. The guy who plays Caesar is excellent.

Both seasons are good, but I preferred Season 1.

Anyways, definitely a must see!

ChrisW
December 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks.

Does Rome have a decent ending?

Evil Agent
December 23rd, 2008, 01:49 AM
I think that they did plan on doing some more seasons, but if I recall correctly, Season 2's ending was pretty satisfying (i.e. tied up most of the loose ends).

Also, I just recently watched both seasons of Carnivale, another really cool HBO show. Once again, it started out a little slow... but it got really good.

Werthead
December 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I only saw the first few episodes of Deadwood. Based on that, Rome is much better. However, Rome starts slow and a bit muddled, and takes until halfway or so through Season 1 to really take off. I didn't give Deadwood a similar chance (will do one day though).

Initially there was disappointment with how Rome was wrapped up quite quickly (what was supposed to be the entire third season and the last ten years of the story was compressed into the last 4 episodes of Season 2), at least until the creator started talking about his original plans for the show which frankly sound pretty insane (Season 4 would have been set 50 years later and been about Jesus :confused: ). Rome's ending is actually pretty strong, and the last line and the last shot are perfect.

The Wire blows both away, but that's a very different kind of programme.

ChrisW
December 30th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I just got the first season of The Wire. So we shall see if it does.

ChrisW
January 7th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the tip Wert. I'm about to start season 4 now. It was good timing actually as two weeks after you mentioned it all four seasons went on special for $16 bucks each down from $44. Kinda odd to as before that i'd never even seen the dvd's on the shelves or heard of the show.

I really wish they hadn't messed with the theme song though. The first seasons was great. The remixes suck.

Werthead
January 10th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Good stuff. Picked up Season 5 last week and looking forward to watching it as soon as I finish my Rome rewatch.