PDA

View Full Version : Alien Invasion - alien life terraforming Earth for their own benefit

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

pockiiee
December 28th, 2008, 04:52 AM
My Mother and I got talking abut interesting SF stories that have stuck with us, she mentioned a story or book she had read where alien life altering Earth for their own benefit - they were essentially terraforming the earth and humanity was as insignificant as a plague of locusts they needed to get rid of. Sounded very interesting, does any know the title/author?

Oh, and it isn't war of the worlds with the red-weed; that's what I thought it must be at first.

B5B7
December 30th, 2008, 04:04 AM
The name that popped into my mind when I read your description was Philip E. High - but a check through his novels as shown here (http://philipehigh.com/PhilipEHighBooks.html) didn't seem to match. Then I thought of the Ace Doubles, and the name John T. Phillifent, who had a double with High - The Double Invaders (with High's The Savage Futurians). I have not been able to find a description of this novel but it may be the book you are looking for.

I have read the book you mentioned.

suciul
December 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM
David Gerrold famous though unfinished so far series about the Chtorr is an example of such

Triffid
January 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Sounds like The Genocides by Thomas Disch

Highroller
March 19th, 2010, 06:34 PM
There is a fair amount of this in John Ringo's series they aliens bring other life forms with them. Even after they beat the aliens they have the other lifeforms they cant erradicate. Hymn to Battle I think is first book and then Gust Front.

pockiiee
March 23rd, 2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone - still haven't found it but some interesting reads from this thread.

Triffid
October 10th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I just bought "The Saliva Tree" by Brian Aldiss. A collection of short stories. The title story sounds like it might be the one you're after.

BettyCross
October 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Sounds like The Genocides by Thomas Disch
Judging from your description, I also think this is the book you're looking for.

Betty Cross

Omphalos
October 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
The Genocides came to my mind immediately too.

expatrie
October 11th, 2010, 11:55 PM
They Live, the John Carpenter film, had this as the whole industrial revolution, all that CO2 and SO2 and so on are what the aliens like in their air.

Any chance They Live is based on a short story or novel?

--Brian.

But honestly, this is a trope. There will be a lot of them to wade through, since even The Hitchhiker's Guide or Dirk Gently's is an "almost" to this. And V the television and book series.