PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who unveiled

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Sapph
January 3rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Today the new doctor was unveilled via an episode of Doctor Who Confidential. He's a guy i know very little about but apparantly starred in a BBC comedy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01215/pdrwho3_1215574c.jpg

Matt Smith, the 26 year old star of the BBC comedy drama Party Animals, has been named as the new Doctor Who due to take over from David Tennant in 2010.

Smith who will become the eleventh, and youngest, incarnation of the Time Lord was unveiled during a special episode of Doctor Who Confidential on BBC One.

Steven Moffat, the producer of the forthcoming fifth series of the sci-fi hit said Smith was perfect casting because he was someone who was old and young at the same time.

Picture and part of an article quoted from Chris Hastings of The Telegraph Which can be found Here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/4092973/Matt-Smith-announced-as-new-Doctor-Who.html)

FremenWarrior
January 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I had serious doubts about the integrity of his acting and i don't think that the vast majority of Ecclestone/ Tennant Fans will be all the happy about such a young inexperienced actor taking the keys to the TARDIS. I myself think that the role needs an older person with more experience to capture the depth of the character and his history.

Hobbit
January 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
i don't think that the vast majority of Ecclestone/ Tennant Fans will be all the happy about such a young inexperienced actor taking the keys to the TARDIS

To be fair, there was a similar outcry I remember when Peter Davison was given the role.

Being an old fogey though, I can't say I'm too impressed myself.

Though we will, of course, be at least giving him a chance in the Hobbit household.

I have been coming to the conclusion though that I am personally increasingly out of step with what is 'popular', not liking Torchwood, Survivors, Demons.... I suspect people of a similar age may like, older people less so.

Mark

Bond
January 9th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Cannot say I like his look. Seems almost frail, vampiric. Brings to mind a character like Raistlin maybe although he'd need to look more sinister to fit such a role. It might make for a different kind of Doctor though if he chose to play it a little differently.

Is there a consensus on who the worst Doctor has been? I lost interest with the Colin Baker reruns. Wanted to see if Sylvestor McCoy was better but saw the second episode with him in an alien urban ghetto and thought it was dreadful before they cancelled showing Dr. Who in my area all together. The atrocious 1980s art design hurt my eyes.

Hobbit
January 9th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I'm sure the similarity is coincidental:

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05/41a_06_matt_243x334.jpg

and

http://www.filmgrenade.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/new-twilight-images-of-bella-and-edward12.jpg

Of course, it could just be me. :)

I thought Sylvester McCoy was actually getting quite interesting before the series' original demise. Would've liked to see where it was going to go (though, of course, I really know that, having seen the Paul McGann 'movie' version.)

Mark

Wulfa_Jones
January 13th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I would be lying if I said I wouldn't have liked an older actor, but I do trust Steven Moffat.

Matt Smith is young, but only a few years younger than Peter Davidson and I don't think he looks that young either. He has a quirky look and yes he does look a little like the guy out of Twilight. He ticks the boxes with what the BBC would like – young, attractive (I’m guess the ladies find him so), marketable…

I just hope they do something interesting with the companion(s) this season – just so we don’t get another 21st century girl who get all loved up with the Doctor.

I think my mind will be a little more made up once we see his costume. I was unsure on Tennant untill I saw him in costume.

I have been coming to the conclusion though that I am personally increasingly out of step with what is 'popular', not liking Torchwood, Survivors, Demons.... I suspect people of a similar age may like, older people less so.

Torchwood did start to improve some what during the last season, but is still pretty hit and miss for me. I didn't mind Survivors, but I didn't really hold my attention. As for Demons... well we'll have to see how that goes. It ain't no Buffy that is for sure.

DailyRich
January 13th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I saw an interview with him online and there was a part near the end where he got very animated, and that eased a lot of doubts in my mind.

Erebus
September 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Doctor Who and Blackadder? Sounds like fun! :)

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,26044218-10229,00.html

Jennifer P
September 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM
If he was five years older, I would be perfectly happy with him.