PDA

View Full Version : What's the last movie you saw... 2009?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Monty Mike
January 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM
The old thread can be found HERE (http://sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18750&page=11).

So, 2009 is here at last. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and new year.

In this thread you can share with everyone what you've been watching. For me:

Red Cliff - fairly slow story-wise but great cinematics and an awesome cast. Look forward to part 2 which is due out sometime this year (not sure when).
Serenity - a fun sci-fi action film with with great CGI.
Chuck & Larry - completely stupid and very funny at times, gotta love Adam Sandler.
Initial D (Chinese) - I had to watch this one with my chinese friend sitting next to me explaining the story as it went, but it in the end it was worth it, a great great film.
Madagascar - watched it for the first time a couple nights ago. Fun and light, more for kids though.
August Rush - started watching this earlier today but didn't finish it. Will do so at some point this week.

Also some other old chinese films I don't remember the names of. One was the story of a swordsman called On. Very entertaining.

Eldanuumea
January 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Valkyrie

Seak
January 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Valkyrie

How were they? Ben Button sounds really interesting, but how was tom cruise?

Stenny
January 6th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I saw Australia!
I've been waiting for it for ages!
I thought it was really good, a little bit too long, but it was still an absolutely brilliant film!
And Hugh Jackman is so hot in it! :D

Maynard Carion
January 6th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Me and my wife finally got around to seeing Stardust the other night and both of us greatly enjoyed it.

Monty Mike
January 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM

DEFINITELY going to see that. What did you think?

Monty Mike
January 22nd, 2009, 05:10 AM
Gran Torino - completely brilliant, everyone should see this film.
Yes Man - quite funny but also quickly forgotten.
Fallen Angels - one of the few I hadn't yet seen from my favourite director, Wong Kar Wai.
Grave of the Fireflies - a Studio Ghibli anime set in Japan during WWII.
Black Books - watching through series 1 again and then onto 2 and 3.

EDIT: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - I would say good but not brilliant, certainly worth seeing.

Bridie
January 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Role models- Absolutely hilarious!

Eldanuumea
January 25th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Huike, I have to say I thought Benjamin Button was brilliant, but perhaps I have an emotional tie to the film because of its setting.
Having lived near New Orleans and loved her all my life, I considered the city almost a character. For me, the film was, in part, a tribute to the city's history. The theme of time's inexorable force couldn't have been depicted in a more fitting setting.
I read a review that considered the ending cheesy and maudlin.....but it was the final 30 seconds of the film that brought my tears.

I just got out of Gran Torino, and that was way beyond my expectations. It is a truly amazing character study, a great good-bye song from Clint Eastwood. (He says it's his last film as an actor.)

Monty Mike
January 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM
American History X - absolutely brilliant, in a league of it's own, watch this film.
Trainspotting - first time seeing this and I have to say I enjoyed it.
Requiem For A Dream - didn't think this was as brilliant as it's made out to be, a little too slow for me, but still glad I saw it.
Pulp Fiction - there's not really anything else quite like it... surprised I never saw it until now.
Slumdog Millionaire - between this and Benjamin Button, I think the latter is more deserving of an Oscar.

I read a review that considered the ending cheesy and maudlin.....but it was the final 30 seconds of the film that brought my tears.

I don't know, I think the ending would have been better left to the viewer's mind rather than casting some kid that looked nothing like Benjamin (or Brad Pitt). For me that just didn't work. If they'd nailed the ending I think it would sit far better in my memory.

I just got out of Gran Torino, and that was way beyond my expectations. It is a truly amazing character study, a great good-bye song from Clint Eastwood. (He says it's his last film as an actor.)

Oh cool, I had no idea it was his last film as an actor. He certainly went out on a high.