PDA

View Full Version : A Clockwork Orange???

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

FremenWarrior
January 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM
What did you make of the images presented in Stanley Cubricks "A Clockwork Orange".

It was easy to understand the references to free will and the depictions of Ultraviolence but what does this film mean to you?...

Gernsback
January 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM
As time has gone by, I feel a lot of the shock value and introspection of the film has faded. In some ways we have ended up with the society originally projected in the book

Even on the first viewing I thought there were sections of the film that were typical over indulgent on Kulbricks part, this, for me at least, lessened any potential impact

As a side note, if you want a tough read, try Anthony Burgess original novel.

B5B7
January 19th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I like this movie - I now have my own DVD of it.
I have read 2 paperback versions - that both had same orange cover - the first one had a glossary at the end with the special slang terms; the second omitted the glossary but had the additional chapter that had what further happened with Alex (after the events in the movie). Apparently the version of the story with the extra chapter is that which Burgess himself preferred, but wasn't widely published before the movie was made.

Gernsback
January 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I like this movie - I now have my own DVD of it.
I have read 2 paperback versions - that both had same orange cover - the first one had a glossary at the end with the special slang terms; the second omitted the glossary but had the additional chapter that had what further happened with Alex (after the events in the movie). Apparently the version of the story with the extra chapter is that which Burgess himself preferred, but wasn't widely published before the movie was made.

How did you go reading the novel without the glossary? I would be almost tempted to read the updated version, but not sure how much I would make sense of

Eventine
January 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I've read the version with the extra chapter but without the glossary - I hadn't realised the extra chapter was an addition. I saw the movie after reading the book, and thought that it really suffered from not having that "chapter" at the end, it was one of the more powerful parts of the novel for me.
I actually thought the movie took a lot of the impact out of the violence by incorporating a level of slaptick into it. What should have been graphically shocking and confronting was devalued by the incorporation of a somewhat comedic element.

Schreibblockade
January 30th, 2009, 04:27 AM
How did you go reading the novel without the glossary? I would be almost tempted to read the updated version, but not sure how much I would make sense of

So you haven't read the book? You get used to the vocabulary after the first several chapters, even without the glossary.
I haven't seen the movie, but the updated version of the novel was very good. It caused me to wonder whether an inherently immoral society can truly judge right and wrong, good and evil.