PDA

View Full Version : The Magnificent Seven

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Miriamele
January 10th, 2009, 10:13 PM
All right, this is not fantasy at at all, but it was really good. I just watched the 1960 Western classic The Magnificent Seven (starring among others Steve McQueen).

It was based on the earlier Japanese movie The Seven Samurai, and although western isn't usually my favourite genre, this movie was highly enjoyable and surprisingly good in terms of realism for being made in 1960.

Just wanted to throw a recommendation out there in case anyone likes westerns. :)

Gernsback
January 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
All right, this is not fantasy at at all, but it was really good. I just watched the 1960 Western classic The Magnificent Seven (starring among others Steve McQueen).

It was based on the earlier Japanese movie The Seven Samurai, and although western isn't usually my favourite genre, this movie was highly enjoyable and surprisingly good in terms of realism for being made in 1960.

Just wanted to throw a recommendation out there in case anyone likes westerns. :)

If you liked Yul Brenner and the gang, you will adore 7 Samurai. If your taste runs more to action films, fast forward to when the guys get the village, then strap yourself and popcorn down

Miriamele
January 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Yes, I do love action films, so I will check out the Seven Samurai, thanks. :)

saintjon
January 15th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I prefer the original also, but it's been a long time since I've seen Magnificent 7. I don't think some of the central themes would come across quite the same in a western. The Seven Samurai is one of the best stories ever in a movie, there is some seriously crazy over the top melodramatic acting in there though lol. Still, the characters and story are really hard to top.

Edit: you don't like westerns much Miri? I'm not so big on the really old school ones per se, but I love the gritty Eastwood type ones. The Outlaw Josey Wales is absolutely top-notch, it's worth it to see just for Chief Dan George's parts, nevermind it's like this awesome redemption story. The more I see Unforgiven the more I like it too, although I wasn't so fond of it when I was a kid. I liked the new 3:10 to Yuma and I want to see that Apalooza one too.

Tanaros
January 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hey,
I just remember that there was an SF version of the Magnificent Seven. It was filmed in 1980 and titled Battle Beyond the Stars.
This is its imdb page.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080421/

I saw it some years ago but it was pretty bad. Not bad FX though, as far as I can remember, for the technology of that time.

Miriamele
January 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM
LOL, I didn't say that I didn't like westerns SJ, just that they're not usually my favourite. But because my hubby loves them, I have seen quite a few, especially all the Clint Eastwood ones.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is absolutely top-notch, it's worth it to see just for Chief Dan George's parts,

You mean the guy who has a piece of candy that's "not for eatin', it's just for lookin' through"? :D:D Actually I love Josey Wales, that's a great movie, and Unforgiven is really something too, although it's kind of depressing.

phil_geo
January 17th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Ha! That was Lone Watie. I love when he says "I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet."

Gernsback
January 19th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Hey,
I just remember that there was an SF version of the Magnificent Seven. It was filmed in 1980 and titled Battle Beyond the Stars.
This is its imdb page.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080421/

I saw it some years ago but it was pretty bad. Not bad FX though, as far as I can remember, for the technology of that time.

A funny peice of trivia. When edited for video release, one of the characters disapears from the film altogether. Used to be the source of consternation for people expecting 7 heroes and only getting 6 lol