PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to my beloved Battlestar Galactica? (SPOILERS)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

sojourner753
February 5th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Okay, so we are 3 episodes into season 4.5 which means that we've got approximately 5 or six episodes remaining. After watching "The Oath" I have to say that its like watching a completely different show.
Or maybe I should say the same show with a completely different creative staff (writing, directing, producing). Where is the exceptional creativitly that I have come to expect after watching for nearly five years?

My fiance was quite underwhelmed with the revelation of Helen as the final Cyclon. I was still willing to give the team an oppurtunity to spin it in an interesting direction.
Dee killing herself was a good scene.

We spend 5 years looking for Earth. We get there, spend 10 minutes and move on? Okay it was interesting that none of the remains were actually human but Cylon. Now what?
Where are the other 4 Cylon models? What about that civil war?

Gaeta taking over the Galactica? If this is possible, then what hope is there for humanity?
Zurich seizing power? Don't get me wrong I really like this character, but it all just feels like an excuse to try and rekindle that loving season1, action feeling.

Rosslyn: "Zurich has always had dangerous ideas" Really? I wonder where that came from. Maybe the fact that he started the show as a convicted terrorist?
She spends too episodes disconnected from everything insisting that she doesn't want to get involved. Then in the 3rd episode (half way through) she pops up with her wig and business suit talking like she's ready to throw someone out of the air lock. Who's directing this episode?

Adama is walking around with this slicked up hairstyle, a hand gun in one hand, and a assault rifle in another like he's some kind of b-movie action star.

And what happened to Gaius? Arguably the most interesting character in the first 2 seasons enters a convent following his trial and drops off the radar for about 2 seasons. Then in "The Oath", He and Rosslyn exchange a quick banter about being religious frauds and then proceed like it never happened.

To be Continued: Does anyone really believe that Adama and Tigh die with that gernade?

I dont know about this season. I have to reiterate we've only got about 6 episodes left and they're already feeling recycled and cheesy. I suspect I may have one more episode in me then I might be signing off.
If they'er not going to take this sceriously, then then I'm out of here.--Star Wars -- Robot Chicken

I think Moore and the rest of his team have already checked out to concentrate on their other new projects: Caprica (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=35773)and The Plan (www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=62921).

Am I alone in this? Or just crazy?

kater
February 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM
We spend 5 years looking for Earth. We get there, spend 10 minutes and move on? Okay it was interesting that none of the remains were actually human but Cylon.

If the thirteenth tribe were cylons then what they called Earth, isn't necessarily Earth.

Gaeta taking over the Galactica? If this is possible, then what hope is there for humanity?

There isn't any hence Dee killing herself. Though it all assumes the humans are actually humans in the first place.

She spends too episodes disconnected from everything insisting that she doesn't want to get involved. Then in the 3rd episode (half way through) she pops up with her wig and business suit talking like she's ready to throw someone out of the air lock.

I think like Dee she lost hope and stepped out for a while, but she seemingly can't continue to avoid what's happening.

Adama is walking around with this slicked up hairstyle, a hand gun in one hand, and a assault rifle in another like he's some kind of b-movie action star.

To be Continued: Does anyone really believe that Adama and Tigh die with that gernade?

The grenade appeared to be a flashbang, if it is then no I don't think they'll die from a blinding light :D

I dont know about this season. I have to reiterate we've only got about 6 episodes left and they're already feeling recycled and cheesy.

I like it, there are a bunch of unanswered questions still on the table and seven (last couple potentially well over normal length) episodes to answer it in. I think some people's expectations have been built so high now that nothing short of blinding brilliance will assuage them, personally I'll settle for an ending that explains the main thread, the rest I'm not too worried about.

sojourner753
February 5th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the reply Katr.
And all of your replies are pretty much on from a story perspective.

I guess my point is this season especially "The Oath" is a very pour execution. The dialogue, the directing, the pacing... And mostly rehashing concepts that the series left behind a long time ago.
And I don't mean its fading, but that the quality of 4.5 is noticeably worse than the previous seasons.

kater
February 6th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I think partly because the season was split in two and that these first few episodes of the second half of the season were done around the writer's strike, they're a bit disjointed. But I think because the series has constantly been written on the fly, there have been dips throughout the series. I agree with some of what you're saying, the ending of the last episode with Adama and Tigh was kinda daft :)
Although the lost hope = mutiny idea is an interesting one and there were certainly enough combustible elements in the fleet to make it happen, they do seem to have, so far, skated over what this Earth actually is.
I'm interested in what concepts you think are being rehashed.

sojourner753
February 7th, 2009, 06:04 PM
That's interesting information about the Writer's strike. I had completely forgotten about it. I guess I figured all of the impacts had come to fruition.

Lets hope it doesn't impact the entire series conclusion.

As to rehashing... BSG had migrated their focus from a action-centered story to a drama/intrigue-centric story IMO. The Oath seemed a pour attempt to recapture that season 1 feeling. Even Starbuck stated "Its just like old times." Check like my original post about that. Even my statements about Adama's b-movie adventure status in my original post.

My original post talked about the pour pacing as well. Hopefully things will pick up. It would a shame for BSG to end on a substandard note.

losttvseries
February 8th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Science Fiction shows are among my favorites on tv. Based on the show that aired in 1978, the new Battlestar Galactica takes sci-fi plots to the next level. With great land and space battle scenes, this show leaves little to be desired. Character plots and arcs increase the intrest in the show with great chemistry and humorus lines. With a bleak future presented before the human race, a group of refugees take it upon themselves to find a new homeplanet to settle the race away from their enemies, the Cylons. This show proves just how resistant the human race is aginst adversity.

fluffy bunny
February 9th, 2009, 04:38 AM
BSG has been on the iffy side to me since halfway through season 3. Yes the last 2 episodes clash with the built up continuity but ep 3 (of the second half of season 4) was a much needed shot in the arm (even if it created a sense of false jeporday with the cliffhanger). It does seem a bit of a long winded way to create the next part of the story.

Well the way I see it is that with the deaths of cylon Anders and Tyrol, they'll download into a resurrection ship from nu Earth, find they were created to guide the 12 colonies to new earth). Hence the creators of the show can get the fleet 'home' in the next few episodes

sojourner753
February 10th, 2009, 09:35 PM
So I just watched the 3rd episode and I'm still wondering where this is all going. We just burned 3 out of 7 episodes and we haven't progressed at all.

I'm starting to think my fiance was right. The best way to end the series would have been a magnificent final battle with the Cyclon's in Earth's orbit.

I think its telling that after the end of season 4 suddenly "The Plan" materialized. Did Moore and the other guy realize that 4.5 was a lost cause?

@fluffy bunny: Did I miss something? Only 1 Cyclon died in this episode (maybe).

kater
February 11th, 2009, 06:31 AM
So I just watched the 3rd episode and I'm still wondering where this is all going. We just burned 3 out of 7 episodes and we haven't progressed at all.

I think you've been counting wrong - there are now still seven episodes left, each half of season 4 is ten episodes. Plus apparently the last 2-3 episodes are longer in length than a normal episode, possibly even up to 10-15 minutes more, so LOTS of story still to go.

@fluffy bunny: Did I miss something? Only 1 Cyclon died in this episode (maybe).

I don't think he's going to die :)

sojourner753
February 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I think you've been counting wrong - there are now still seven episodes left, each half of season 4 is ten episodes. Plus apparently the last 2-3 episodes are longer in length than a normal episode, possibly even up to 10-15 minutes more, so LOTS of story still to go.

That is actually a good note. Perhaps they will get it together and end with a good run.

My pessimistic side thinks that the perfect ending would have been a visually magnificent yet desperate final battle with Cyclon fleet right in Earth's orbit.