PDA

View Full Version : Gender transformation nanobots AI blackout and a shipped named The HMS Heinlein

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

mrmackey
February 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hello, I am trying to find a book I read in the late 90's which may either have won a hugo or nebula or was written by an award winner. It was about a newspaper reporter who changes sexes a couple times and has a relationship with AI in her head. It was great, she ends up on the moon and even encounters a ship called the HMS Heinlein that has been converted into a moon base. There is a part where she meets people who have undergone genetic modifications to make them more natural and animalistic and they are in communication with dinosaurs that are being used as a source of meat. I remember a part where the nanobots within the characters bodies are programmed to freshen breath and then things get a little crazy. The AI has a personality crisis and blacks out for a couple minutes, then order is restored and life goes on as usual. It was kind of good and I want to recommend it to a friend but I've forgotten both the title and the authors name. I appreciate the help.

uncwilult02
February 15th, 2009, 11:51 PM
That's Steel Beach by John Varley. I read it about six months ago. Maybe one of the weirder novels I've ever read, mainly due to the casual sex that the main character has first as a man and then as a woman. I did find it very interesting as it covered a wide range of subjects.