View Full Version : Slumdog Millionaire

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Eldanuumea
February 28th, 2009, 07:37 PM
OMG

I do not hesitate in recommedning this film to everyone old enough to get into an R-rated film. (For the life of me, I don't understand the R rating.)

I went into the theater with totally different expectations. I came out a changed person.

My daughter, who is a mjor league film bulf and well-versed in "indie" films as well as the wider-marketed items, pronounced solemnly that this was now her all-time favorite movie.....and from her, that is a heavy statement.

It is definitely in my top ten of all time.

I don't want to give anything away......but I'll just say, I thought this would be a "feel-good" romantic, musical comedy. In fact, my daughter had to sort of drag me to it. I went basically because of all its awards and all of the fuss made over it.

What I got was an amazing piece of cinamatic artistry, a story so raw and compelling......and yes, I was uplifted.

I can't wait to hear reactions from others.

Monty Mike
March 1st, 2009, 04:29 AM
I know it won a lot in the Oscars but I personally enjoyed some of the other recent stuff much more (Gran Torino, Milk). Technically it was brilliant, but I guess it's just a question of taste. I wonder if the ending was too predictable for me? Maybe I was hoping for something darker... :D

Eldanuumea
March 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM
I know it won a lot in the Oscars but I personally enjoyed some of the other recent stuff much more (Gran Torino, Milk). Technically it was brilliant, but I guess it's just a question of taste. I wonder if the ending was too predictable for me? Maybe I was hoping for something darker... :D

Gran Torino didn't get anywhere near the critical attention it deserved. It was a superior film. In fact, I was dumbfounded the Academy had not nominated it for best picture.
Didn't see Milk yet.

I am the eternal optimist......my family says I could find something positive about hell.......and so I loved the ending. After so much suffering, how could it be otherwise?

But I like dark stuff, too. Just thought this ending fit the purpose of the film.
And the ending wasn't all bright......but to say more would be a major spoiler.

FremenWarrior
March 1st, 2009, 01:41 PM
I had heard that the film was not in english but was subtitled. is that right? I've heard about it's success recently in the Oscars and BAFTAS but i'm not sure what it would be like to watch.

Monty Mike
March 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
I had heard that the film was not in english but was subtitled. is that right? I've heard about it's success recently in the Oscars and BAFTAS but i'm not sure what it would be like to watch.

It was done in English.

Eldanuumea
March 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
The version I saw was a mixture of English and subtitles. The children's dialogue was gnerally in easy-to-read blocked subtitles, within the screen, but much of the adult conversation was in English.

Having brief subtitles within the screen made the dialogue very simple to follow.

Amaunette
March 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I just saw this movie last night. It was obviously an excellent "feel-good" movie, but I am surprised that it won so many awards. I usually expect award-winning movies to have either dark and depressing themes or an unhappy ending. I'm glad I saw it, not sure it's my favorite film of all-time, though. I can definitely re-watch it a lot because it does have a positive vibe.