PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like Musicals? What is your favorite?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Tickle
March 3rd, 2009, 05:18 AM
I was listing my favorite movies on a different thread, when I realised that I like a few musicals as well and would list them as my favorites. Does anyone else? Well here are my favorites:

Polly & Polly 2 - (w/Phylicia Rashaad, Keisha Knight Pulliam)
Sister Act & Sister Act 2
Carmen: A Hip Hopera
West Side Story
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
The Wiz
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (Shirley Temple)
Anne (old one w/Carol Burnett)
Mary Poppins
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

I know there is more, but this is what I can remember off the top of my head.

Monty Mike
March 3rd, 2009, 05:36 AM
The Rocky Horror Picture Show. 'Nough said. :D

Erfael
March 3rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
I got excited when I saw the thread title. When I think of musicals, I think of those things where one goes off to the theater to see live actors and musicians entertain us in real time. So my favorites in that vein:

My Fair Lady (got to play for this one when the touring show stopped here a year and a half ago. It's always been one of my favorites, so it would extra-special to get to participate)
Les Miserables
Avenue Q
Rent
Spamalot (was really fun to see once...not sure it would hold up to seeing over and over like many others on the list)
Into the Woods
Yeston and Kopit's Phantom
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (if we insist that something that can be watched on a screen goes here)

I may add Miss Saigon to the list soon...I start rehearsals for that in a week and a half, it's by the same guys who did Les Mis, and I usually ending up liking shows after working on them.

Raule
March 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I love the old musicals with song and dance numbers, such as those with Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. (Brigadoon, Take Me Out to the Ballpark, Finian's Rainbow, are some examples).

But my favorite is probably the first play I ever saw -- Fiddler on the Roof. It was my brother's high school class play; I was four years old and absolutely mesmerized by it. The film with Topol is great, too. I don't think I've ever gotten over it.

DailyRich
March 3rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Les Miserables
Phantom of the Opera
West Side Story
Sweeney Todd
Man of La Mancha
Little Shop of Horrors
Evita
Chess
Brigadoon
My Fair Lady
Oliver!
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut (don't tell me it's not a musical!)

Eldanuumea
March 3rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
I adore good musicals! I have had the good fortune of seeing the first on my list in a live production, at the old Saenger Theater in New Orleans. The rest, I've seen as films.

Les Miserables
Phantom of the Opera
West Side Story
Sweeney Todd
My Fair Lady
Carousel
Fiddler on the Roof
The Sound of Music

Monty Mike
March 3rd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Oh, and though I never saw it, I heard Across the Universe was a good musical. Did anyone see it?

Tickle
March 3rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Wow!! I can't believe I forgot Sound of Music and Little Shop of Horrors and I have these in my collection.

I would also have to say as far as actual live plays are concerned. I love all of Tyler Perry's Madea plays. I got to see Madea's Class Reunion live on stage and it was great.

Eldanuumea
March 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Oh, and though I never saw it, I heard Across the Universe was a good musical. Did anyone see it?
My daughter has been begging me to see that.

sic's mom
March 8th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I have always loved musicals since I was a little kid. I can't sing a note and have always wanted to be able to. To just live life and break out in song every once in a while. Oh, and the song has to pertain to what is going on:) Here are some of my faves

The Sound of Music
My Fair Lady
Funny Girl (actually any of her musicals)
Music Man
West Side Story
The King and I
Hello Dolly
Oklahoma(could have something to do with the fact I was born and raised there:))
And any of the Disney ones-have rewatched all of these and seen the new ones with my kids, and love them all

Like I said I love musicals and I know there are many others I love, just can't think of them off the top of my head.