PDA

View Full Version : Horror Movie Remakes

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

effingvampires
March 5th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Just curious what the general consensus is out there in regards to the recent trend of horror movie remakes. Are they really all that necessary? Is there a right way and a wrong way to do them? What are some of the better remakes? Worst remakes?

I think there are definitely some good horror movie remakes out there. Example: Dawn of the Dead. Zack Snyder did a fantastic job with this remake. He took the basic plot of Romero's movie and embellished it enough to make it shine, but not so much that it wasn't true to the spirit of the original. The reason we see the remake is because we liked the original, right? So why would anybody want to stray from that?

Bad example: The new Nightmare on Elm Street that's in the works...sans Robert England. WHAT?! :eek: Unacceptable! Maybe when Robert England has been dead for twenty years we entertain this idea. Until then, it's just disrespectful to The Master, dude! I'm totally boycotting this movie. I will watch only after His Greatness has departed this realm of reality.

Eldanuumea
March 6th, 2009, 12:45 AM
The most terrifying movie I ever saw was the original "Haunting of Hill House." I didn't even bother to watch the remake, even though Liam Neeson is one of my favorite actors.

I have become jaded with CGI. I sort of like it when the special FX are visible as such, to a point. I mean, not like the wires showing in Godzilla! But, for example, the fighting skeletons in the old "Jason and the Argonauts." That scene tooke months to create, if I'm not mistaken, and it's great stuff. Nowadays, there would just be an army of realistic-looking skeletons, and it would be bo-ring.

I actually don't watch many horror films, because i can't handle it. I startle at the drop of a hat - literally. My kids don't want to sit next to me for any film that might have moments of thrilling surprise. During "Jurassic Park III," I think I left bruises on my daughter's arm!

I believe I was psychologically damaged because my grandmother took me to see, among other horror/thriller films, "Psycho," when I was only about 7. I saw that movie through slits between my fingers as I tried to cover my eyes but couldn't resist peeking. I saw something called "Mole People" and had nightmares, expecting monsters to tunnel through my bedroom walls. And Vincent Price's classic "House on Haunted Hill"? OMG I couldn't sleep for days.

Hollywood keeps remaking Dracula versions, but they've yet to get it right. The Frank Langella version came close, even though they did confuse Mina and Lucy for some odd reason.
Now that's one horror film that needs remaking.

No offense to Gary Oldman and Gerard Butler; you're both DIVINE eye candy. But, who could be the next, perfect Dracula?

effingvampires
March 6th, 2009, 12:31 PM
What is it about adults thinking Alfred Hitchcock is okay for small children? My mom had me watch The Birds when I was five. I'm still not right when there's a large gathering of birds nearby. lol

Forgive me, but I am DYING with laughter over here that The Mole People freaked you out. Have you ever heard of the show Mystery Science Theater 3000? They watch bad movies and make fun of them the whole time and Mole People is one of the greats that they riffed on. Totally classic! I'm too busy marveling at the fact that you can totally tell there's a guy in the monster suit. Then again, if I was a young kid, might have a different perspective :)

And you are right - there is something to be said for CG and horror movies. It all seems too contrived with CG, right? I personally love when a modern horror movie sticks with practical effects. Good example would be a movie called Hatchett. (I hope I spelled it right. I'm debating on whether there are two "t's" or one. lol) Great new horror flick that embraces the old school slasher vibe and sticks to good old fashioned make up, props, and unrealistic amounts of fake blood!

Eldanuumea
March 6th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Yep, she took me to the Hitchcock stuff, too. The birds was horrifying!
I was at a playground a few years ago, and suddenly this huge flock of blackbirds lit down upon the monkey bars and swings. I have to say, I was a little worried.....LOL

"The Mole People" really did traumatize me. I am not sure what year that came out, but I was pretty young, and it took years for me to get over it.

I can't watch "slasher" movies. I have seen the old first "Friday the 13th" and the first "Scream," and those were enough.

Oddly, though, I love the Kill Bill films. They are so unrealistic, it's fun to watch. And there are very artistic moments.....my favorite is the sword fight in the snow....those red drops of blood staining that pristine, quiet garden.

My son showed me an example of what he says is a growing genre....."Machine Girl," in which a Chinese schoolgirl basically slices, dices, chops, and everything else! plus her arm gets tempura'ed!! The blood and gore is so over the top, it's just hilarious.