View Full Version : short story about a remote control

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

finfin
March 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I'm trying to find an old storie about a man with a remote control for his house? but he starts finding buttons and he turns off the universe at the end. Does that ring any bell with anyof you sci-fi nerds out there?:)

JunkMonkey
April 9th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I'm trying to find an old storie about a man with a remote control for his house? but he starts finding buttons and he turns off the universe at the end. Does that ring any bell with anyof you sci-fi nerds out there?:)

Rings bells with me. Is it set in a dome/house on the moon? I seem to think this is a Philip K Dick story but I can't remember the title.

Jennifer P
April 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Gah. Thank you. Now it's going to drive ME crazy too!

rainswept
April 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I remember a story like this but the protagonist was a girl who kept turning things off until the last button on the remote control had her name on it, and she pushed it. It was some sort of of therapy program.

It might have been "The World She Wanted" by Philip K. Dick.

rainswept
September 24th, 2011, 09:44 PM
This one is still plaguing me. I'm pretty sure I read it in an elementary or middle-school classroom anthology... along with the likes of Button, Button and The Monsters are Due on Maple Street (though not necessarily those).

It wasn't The World She Wanted at all.

finfin
September 24th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I keep thinking there was a button labeled "Stars".

rainswept
September 25th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I keep thinking there was a button labeled "Stars".

That's how I remember it. The stars may have been the first to be erased. After the protagonist has deleted everything, the remote is found to have a button with their name on it. They press it. I thought there was a denouement with doctors.

finfin
September 25th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I believe it was mid to late sixties when I read it. In a short story anthology I think.

JunkMonkey
June 12th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Finfin,

Did you ever find this?

finfin
June 13th, 2012, 01:34 AM
No... I read it about the same time as "The Imagicon"... I think.