PDA

View Full Version : Scifi books about people with special abilities

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

vash168
March 24th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I am looking for scifi books that have main characters with special abilities.

I am also looking for the name of a book. I think it is the first in a series. It starts with a young boy that i think was a slave. He is sold to an old women I think that has a farm. If i remember correctly the boy is an empath (can feel and contorl peoples emotions) or has some other ability. You find out later in the book that the person that paid for him did not do it because they wanted him but because the boy wanted to go with her.

ivanj
March 24th, 2009, 07:13 PM
You may be looking for SLAN by A. E. van Vogt and if that isn't it, it should be in your wider search.

vash168
March 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Slan was not the one that i was looking for but does sound interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pellinore
March 29th, 2009, 07:03 PM
This sounds very like For Love of Mother-Not, the first of Alan Dean Foster's Pip and Flinx books.

worldmaker
March 30th, 2009, 10:36 AM
You got in first, I would definately have said either Slan or the Flinx series, from your description.

vash168
March 30th, 2009, 10:24 PM
The book i was looking for was For Love of Mother-Not so thanks a lot Pellinore and worldmaker.

Randy M.
March 31st, 2009, 01:44 PM
The Power -- Frank Robinson
Jumper -- Steven Gould
The Invisible Man -- H. G. Wells

Randy M.

worldmaker
April 1st, 2009, 03:57 AM
The book i was looking for was For Love of Mother-Not so thanks a lot Pellinore and worldmaker.

I vaguely recall that was the prequel in the Flinx series.
The first Flinx novel as far as I know was "The Tar-Aiym Krang", then "Orphan Star" and "The End Of The Matter", and so on.....

:cool:

Pellinore
April 2nd, 2009, 12:23 AM
Yes I think you are right, The Tar Aiym Krang was technically the first I believe, though I feel like there was another one before Orphan Star. Maybe I'm wrong. Chronologically though, For Love of Mother Not was first.