View Full Version : Kings

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Rob B
March 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Is anybody besides me watching Kings on Sunday nights on NBC (in the US)? It stars Ian McShane and is a modern-day imagining of the Book of David. Four episodes in and I like it despite its flaws. At times it seems to take itself a little too seriously, but on the whole it keeps me coming back for more.

Eldanuumea
March 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I saw a trailer for that at the cinema, and it looks like a neat concept, but I have yet to catch the show. We are having reception problems with local networks. :(

I will probably try to see it online, if that's possible.

Wulfa_Jones
March 26th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Watched the two episode premiere last week. Enjoyed the first episode, but all a little to heavy on the religion tones for me. The last scene with the butterflies was a step too far!

Might watch it a few episodes down the line and see if it catches me again.

Rob B
March 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM
but all a little to heavy on the religion tones for me.
Well, what did you expect? The TV show is a retelling of The Book of Saul about the biblical King David, who is chosen by God to replace Saul.

Wulfa_Jones
March 27th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Well, what did you expect? The TV show is a retelling of The Book of Saul about the biblical King David, who is chosen by God to replace Saul.

At the time of viewing, I didn't know that was what it was about. I'd just heard that it was a fictional land, it's royal family and the war they are in with a rival kingdom. Oh and that it stared Lovejoy.

I did kinda guess where it was going after David killed a Goliath tank though. It was well produced, but I found the dialogue to be a bit over the top and as I said, the scene with the butterflies at was just a step to far for me. Plus, I can already see where it is going (not being overly savvy in regards to Biblical stories, I donít really know how that story progresses) and I can see Davidís naivety was just going to annoy me.

As I said, I might watch it a couple of episodes down the line and see how it is going and then maybe go back to watching it. That is if it continuesÖ I understand the ratings havenít been great.

Eldanuumea
March 27th, 2009, 06:31 AM

There is no "Book of Saul," at least not in the biblical canon. The story of David begins in 1 Samuel 16, and the Goliath episode is in 1 Samuel 17.

Rob B
March 27th, 2009, 11:38 AM
That was a typo, thanks Eld.

Wulfa, if I was too snarky sorry. ;)

Eldanuumea
March 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM
David is actually one of the more fascinatingly complex biblical characters. He is referred to as "a man after God's own heart," yet he was an adulterer and, indirectly at least, a murderer. (plotting to place Bathsheba's husband close to the action so he would be mowed down)

The friendship between David and Jonathan is one of literature's great examples of deep male bonding.

Saul, himself, is quite a character. Chosen as Israel's first king, he eventually descends ever deeper into melancholia and madness. He loves and hates David, and comes close to killing him several times. His loss of grace is a classic tragedy. And David's refusal to hurt Saul, because he views the mad king as God's anointed, is fascinating. David chooses to wonder through the desert wilderness with a band of followers - and wives/concubines - while Saul proceeds to give chase.

Later, when David is finally king, he dances with joy, barely clothed, before the Ark of the Covenant as it is finally returned to Jerusalem from wherever it was for a while (I forget that detail).

If you've never read the bible for spiritual reasons, I suggest you check out the saga of Saul and David. Their stories are full of all the pathos and adventure a fantasy fan would love.

I really do need to check out Kings......have to remember when it comes on.

PeterWilliam
March 28th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Later, when David is finally king, he dances with joy, barely clothed, before the Ark of the Covenant as it is finally returned to Jerusalem from wherever it was for a while (I forget that detail).

It was returned by the Philistines. The Israelites had come to view it as something of a good-luck charm and carry it into battle before them to assure victory. Obviously, they tried it one time too many. Eventually, the Ark's possession by the Philistines brought upon their major cities epidemics of hemorrhoids (and you thought the Bible, and/or God, humorless). The Philistines ultimately place the Ark on a cart towed by cattle and send the cattle off over the border towards Israelite towns. Upon its recovery, King David travels personally to see it returned.

@ Rob,
I am watching this series and enjoying it immensely. As Eldanuumea has already pointed out, the tale of David's life (throughout the two books of Samuel) is one that touches upon every human condition imaginable. Over the years I have incrementally inched from atheist, to agnostic and, finally, to Christian and find the life of David to be nothing short of epic. The television show is amazing in that it seems to carry over all of the weight of drama from First and Second Samuel.

Rob B
March 29th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks Eld and Peter. Tonight's episode was another pretty good one, I just hope the ratings start to come up to acceptable levels for NBC.

FWIW, I had a great course in college - The Bible as Literature. It's been almost 15 years since I had the class so I don't remember the specifics, but examining the texts as literature made for one of the more enjoyable classes I had.