PDA

View Full Version : Short story - consciousness fired into the future, into an intelligent lobster

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

zachariah
March 27th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Essentials of this short SF story are:

A man is part of an experiment where his consciousness is propelled far into the future. He finds himself a parasitic ghost inside the body of an intelligent lobster, which is taking part in an undersea pilgrimage. They visit a godlike telepathic octopus.

He goes native and resists the people trying to bring him back, but is eventually recalled just as the pilgrims reach the island they were heading for.

I read it in a compilation of short stories a few years ago, though the anthology itself was already very old - probably 70's vintage.

I recall the anthology was themed around the subject of gods. Other short stories in it that I remember are one where a man found himself in a realm populated only by old, forgotten mythical gods (and was saved from drowning by a sad Jesus) and one where a man wins an unlikely road-duel against the country's top duellist, only to find himself forced to take on all comers, eager for the crown.

Thanks!

ojezap
December 4th, 2012, 06:06 PM
You ever get to the bottom of this? I'm looking for same, it's driving me crazy.

zachariah
December 5th, 2012, 01:36 AM
No such luck. I'm fairly certain the anthology had a Philip K. Dick story in it, so could possibly be traced if one could cross-reference all the short stories he's got out there, but that's a tall order.

ojezap
December 5th, 2012, 05:54 AM
No such luck. I'm fairly certain the anthology had a Philip K. Dick story in it, so could possibly be traced if one could cross-reference all the short stories he's got out there, but that's a tall order.

I have good news (read through the comments): https://plus.google.com/100605130871709772765/posts/jB4WScE2uA5

zachariah
December 5th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Praise the octopus god!

otistdog
December 5th, 2012, 08:59 AM
So it was "Homefaring" by Robert Silverberg, then?

zachariah
December 5th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Yes, it's definitely Homefaring. (http://www.majipoor.com/analysis.php?id=450)