PDA

View Full Version : British Children's novel 1960, kidnapped in government flying saucer.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

worldmaker
March 30th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I read this as a child and wondered if anyone else remembered it -

The story is set in the 1950/60s about a group of children playing in a field one day when a flying saucer lands and they're enticed onboard.

It turns out to have been a secret British government project and the operator wanted to expose it by using the children's situation for publicity.

Quite a grown up story, not too happy an ending, but it impressed me at the time and has always stuck in my mind, but I could never remember its title or author to add to my collection....

Any suggestions?

:)

dark_angeluk1
May 27th, 2011, 12:13 PM
crikey, i know this book, and have not read it in eons, i know the story your on about and i also have never been able to locate it, but for some reason, i always thought it was called 'Kidnapped' but i'd love to add it to mine as well. i think the thing which stuck in my mind all these years is the man was dying from radiation sickness. it was a sad ending.
sean

worldmaker
May 27th, 2011, 03:44 PM
crikey, i know this book, and have not read it in eons, i know the story your on about and i also have never been able to locate it, but for some reason, i always thought it was called 'Kidnapped' but i'd love to add it to mine as well. i think the thing which stuck in my mind all these years is the man was dying from radiation sickness. it was a sad ending.
sean

Yes, a sad ending, but also a mature one, good for older children.
I'll have to keep looking, I can wait, I have done for the last thirty years.

dark_angeluk1
May 27th, 2011, 04:13 PM
lol, i just did a search for it, and your posting comes up and then about a million others about aledged ufo abductions hehehehehehehe, if i find it, i'll let you know.
sean

worldmaker
May 27th, 2011, 04:31 PM
lol, i just did a search for it, and your posting comes up and then about a million others about aledged ufo abductions hehehehehehehe, if i find it, i'll let you know.
sean

Yes! I did the same and gave up. I'll have to search offline one day when I have a week to spare!

dark_angeluk1
May 27th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Hi Again,
I've found the book title, and author after extensive trawling of the net, lol and i mean extensive, were talking hours and hours of solid typing using all sorts of phrases to catch the elusive book ;)
title is Space Hostages,
author is Nicholas Fisk.

you wouldnt believe the combinations i put in to finally get it ;) hehehehehehe, talk about a man possessed.
now i'm off to find a copy, would be just our luck to find that we cannot get a copy anywhere ;)

sean

dark_angeluk1
May 27th, 2011, 11:22 PM
theres 7 on ebay.
gonna grab one now before you buy them all hehehehehehehe.
hope i've been some help in this for you.
have fun.
sean

Jim diGriz
May 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Arrggghh, I was so close! When thinking of British children's sci-fi of that era Nicholas Fisk was the first name that jumped into my mind. As a small boy in the mid seventies I read and re-read his "Trillions" and even though it's been gathering dust in my mother's attic for over thirty years I can still remember it like I read it yesterday. Unfortunately I never read "Space Hostages" so I couldn't help you here but I'll be damned if I'm not tempted to now.

dark_angeluk1
May 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
hi there jim ;)
stainless steel rat reader by any chance ;)
i really love those books, and i've just finished reading ''the stainless steel rat returns'' i've read a couple of reviews for it, and i cannot agree to some of the comments, and i wonder if they've even read the book. i think its quite a good book.

worldmaker
May 29th, 2011, 05:17 AM
hi there jim ;)
stainless steel rat reader by any chance ;)
i really love those books, and i've just finished reading ''the stainless steel rat returns'' i've read a couple of reviews for it, and i cannot agree to some of the comments, and i wonder if they've even read the book. i think its quite a good book.

I have all the rat books. :D