PDA

View Full Version : Night Watch / Day Watch

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

effingvampires
March 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Okay, maybe this conversation has been touched on before, but I just finally got my crap together and watched these Russian movies. I've read all the books (except for Last Watch, which just recently came out). And I've heard these movies are good.

Am I being too dramatic when I say these have to be a couple of the greatest movies of all time? Visually stunning. Great character interpretations. It just hits every mark for me.

Anybody else have any thoughts and opinions about these movies?

B5B7
March 31st, 2009, 01:03 AM
I've read the first two books, and own the DVDs of the two movies. The books are good. The first movie was OK though it had some significant deviations from the book, but the second movie, whilst entertaining had extremely major differences to the book. The Day Watch witch was reduced to a minor character, and the ending totally screwed over the book plot the time travel, and the sorceress becoming the hero's girl.

If taken in isolation, without any knowledge of the novels, the movies would seem pretty good - but lack the depth and character development of the novels (in addition to the points I made in the first paragraph).
But don't let me spoil your enjoyment and appreciation for the movies; I simply have a different opinion (but still find them entertaining and rewatchable, which is a plus compared with many other movies).

effingvampires
March 31st, 2009, 11:57 AM
I can definitely understand what you're saying. The movies definitely deviated from the plot of the books. But knowing how intricate and involved the books were, I went into the movies not expecting much. If you're expecting the movies to be exactly like the books, then yeah, these movies are disappointing. I guess I didn't know what to expect going into them, so I probably had an advantage there.

I think I'm just most impressed by how visually stunning the movies are. They possess this ethereal beauty that I really can't put into words. And the way they integrate the subtitles into the artistic beauty of the film is just so unique. These movies just stroke my eyes with silky touches that leave me yearning for more.

I read an interview with the director and he said they hired a lot of young computer programmers still living in their parents' homes to do the CGI for the movies. I think by doing so, they captured a purity of the art form. They're in the process of putting together Dusk Watch. The director hopes to bring it to Los Angeles and tell the story of other Watches besides Moscow. I'm a little worried it won't hold the same magic. In Moscow, the director has been afforded a lot of autonomy and I fear the American film industry will squash that, because, let's face it - they're generally a bunch of egocentric a-holes that think they know everything about everything. Sadly, I'm not holding out much hope for the third installment in these movies.

Evil Agent
March 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM
I have all the books, sitting on my bookshelf, but I won't be able to read them for a while. It's good to hear positive things about the movies.

SLASH
October 31st, 2009, 12:40 PM
I purchased both movies and enjoyed em a lot. Some of the special effects were amazing and hold up to hollywood standards pretty well.
Didn't read the books though