PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help identifying a book!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Xenocider
March 31st, 2009, 11:14 PM
When I was about 11 or twelve my father gave me a sci-fi book the read and I was utterly blown away. I read it probably 15 times that year and, due to an unfortunate accident, lost the book. Now it is years later and I am trying in vain to find out the name of this book.

I remember exactly what happened in the book and if you have a moment to read this over and help me identify it I would be so grateful.

The story is about a man who is cryogenically frozen with an incurable illness in the hopes that he might someday be saved. He is awoken very far in the future in the body of a convict and told that he had no rights since the body of the convict was serving its debt to society. They tell him he will live out his life on a solo mining mission to a far away asteroid belt and by the time he gets back he would be dead or too old to cause harm.

He figures out a way to prolong the sleep state on the ship and makes it back hundreds or thousands of years later to find the world changed once again. The governments had found a way to live for ever but it turned them into children and the hero eventually runs across a garden of eden where the mystery drug is located.

The last important part I remember is that there are evolved or mutated animals and one is a snake with the head of a cat. This is the image that is on the front of the book cover.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it and I might even be willing to send you a copy if I can find it.

ivanj
April 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM
The first part of your description sounds like 'Rammer' by Larry Niven from his short stories about 'the state', the other two are 'Down and Out' and 'The Children of the State'. I don't know them as a book, I have them as short stories in Galaxy although they may have appeared in 'A Hole in Space'.

Xenocider
April 1st, 2009, 10:36 PM
The first part of your description sounds like 'Rammer' by Larry Niven from his short stories about 'the state', the other two are 'Down and Out' and 'The Children of the State'. I don't know them as a book, I have them as short stories in Galaxy although they may have appeared in 'A Hole in Space'.

You are my hero. You have literally just made my day. Thank you so much