View Full Version : G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Aelden
April 13th, 2009, 09:36 PM
(Well, this is the first post for me in a long time.)

In any case, has anyone seen the trailer for the upcoming live action G.I. Joe movie? I've always been a Joe fan, I played with the figures a lot as a kid. I still have a few, to be honest.

But, anyway, I'm honestly excited about the movie. At first I thought "Oh crap. Here we go. They're going to ruin it." After seeing the preview, though, I'm optimistic. Snake Eyes looks as cool as ever. No lie. (Incidentally, he's played by the same actor that played Darth Maul.)

If you haven't seen the trailer, you can find it here. (http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2067333913/) (The link takes you to IMDb. Nothing too malicious, I promise.)

Assuming that's Cobra Commander talking in the beginning, do my ears deceive me, or did they change him to have a Scottish accent?

-Aelden

zachariah
April 14th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I saw the trailer and I thought, "Some fool has made a live-action version of Team America World Police"!

Seriously - they even copied the Eiffel Tower crashing down!

Wulfa_Jones
April 14th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I've been a long time GI Joe fan (It was called Action Force in the UK though) and I am dreading the film really...

Snake Eyes looks cool, but that is about it. Oh and the Baroness looks right as well.

I've seen toy designs for Cobra Commander and for Vipers and they’ve unnecessarily changed the design and not for the better. The Cobra Commander and Viper uniforms with the silver visors looked way cool and would have done so in the live action version, instead we’ve got this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eP-TQH6WbX0/ScxONmMlYfI/AAAAAAAAHl8/HJwg7cJ0tzo/s400/G.I.+Joe+Rise+of+Cobra+-+Cobra+Commander+Movie+Tie-In+3+3-4+Inch+Action+Figure.jpg Just doesn’t work for me!

Also the choice of which team members to use… no Roadblock – instead we get carbon copy Heavy Duty? and Rip Cord? What about the likes of Beachhead and Flint? I can’t even remember Rip Cord from the animated series.

Aelden
April 14th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Wow. I hadn't even seen the figures for it. They butchered Cobra Commander. That's ridiculous. Ugh. And, I hadn't noticed, but apparently Duke (played by Channing Tatum) is now dark-headed. Flint was dark-headed! Flint! Duke was a blondie!

cyborgelf
April 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Oh no, this is the first I've heard of this. I can only hope that they do the Joe team justice. I actually have Issues #26 & 27 of the Marvel comic (The origin of snake eyes) hanging on my wall.

Evil Agent
April 14th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I heard about this over a year ago, and what I heard then sounded truly horrible. I think this could be the worst butchering in a long time. Sounded NOTHING like the original whatsoever. Also, isn't it now an international anti-terrorist squad, rather than a troop of "American heroes"?

Wulfa_Jones
April 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Aelden - Not too fussed about hair colours, but such a major change to one of the most iconic characters look is pretty unnecessary.

Evil Agent - Not sure if the boxes differed in the UK, but they were called International Heroes and I recall profiles on the back of the figures having them from different countries.

Wulfa_Jones
April 27th, 2009, 03:44 AM
There is a new GI Joe cartoon written by Warren Ellis floating about on the web. Made up of a number of 5 minute webisodes that are showing on the Adult Swim website and then on Saturday the full cartoon movie will be shown including the last ten minutes on Cartoon Network this Saturday.

I've watched some of the episodes on You Tube (Adult Swim site content not available outside the US) and it is pretty good.

PG-13 rating - complete with mild swearing and mild violence. Pretty good character design – new but still recognisable. Worth watching and could be better than the live action film…

jackacid
May 19th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I worshipped GI Joe as a kid. Had a zillion action figures, watched the cartoon, even own the animated movie on DVD.

That said, I have very, very low expectations for this movie. Yes, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow look great, but it looks like a cookie-cutter shoot-em-up/blow-em-up Hollywood quagmire.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong as I'd love to see a quality live action film (which somehow, has never happened.)

SLASH
October 31st, 2009, 10:55 AM
watched it a few weeks ago, it was not very good.