PDA

View Full Version : Post High School, The Game, exploration of an alien world

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Palenval
April 16th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I read a story(I think it was a book, but it has been so long that I honestly don't remember) about a group of people who just graduated and all but one failed to get jobs. They moved into a vacant building together, and started hearing rumors about a "game," but never anything concrete. They try to find out more and eventually are invited to join the game. The game turns out the be a VR adventure of an alien world. After exploring for a while, they are stumped by something that would require the one friend who got a job. Shortly after, he shows up at their place having been fired and basically black-listed. Eventually, their game time becomes more and more lengthy and finally, they wake up once when playing the game and find that the game is over. They really are now on the alien world from the game.

If there is anyone who has read this story and remembers the name, please respond.

Thank you

JunkMonkey
April 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Sounds a bit like the movie eXistenZ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120907/

Palenval
April 20th, 2009, 08:39 AM
No, that doesn't match. The movie is about 2 people playing a game while on the run... The book is about a much large group(I think it was like 7 to 10 and they were only 18 or so at the oldest.) and it actually involved them waking up after playing the Game in their home, or just outside, but sometimes it gives the appearance that they are kidnapped to play the game. I do know that the end of the book is the first time I think they actually can see the night sky.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Highroller
March 19th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Well this is not it but it has a few of the same elements. Thieves of Light which is like the lead-in to the Photon series. Guy reaches a certain level in a laser tag game and finds out its a "training" simulator for a real life group fighting aliens.