PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who vs Primeval

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Wulfa_Jones
April 20th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Iím going to go out and a limb and say that at the moment, I feel Primeval is a better show than Doctor Who (since it was restarted) and Torchwood whilst we are on the subject.

Primeval has managed to do something that seemed beyond Russell T Davies and that is a cohesive story arc that runs along with the monster of the week. In regards to singular episodes, Doctor Who is better, but itís season long story arcs have been incredibly weak in both build up and execution. Bad Wolf, missing Bumble Bees and the drums are all prime examples of the poor build up and, personally, Iíve not been satisfied with one of the big season finales so far. Primevalís season 2 finale was pretty exciting and rewarding from what I remember.

The current season of Primeval is some of the best UK genre viewing in years, whilst not of the calibre of Being Human Ė which is a different sort of show, the entertainment value and the desire to ďtune in next weekĒ that Primeval provides is very high. For me, the prime reason for this, is wanting to see the few hints of whatís happening in the big picture.

I donít want to plant any spoilers for Primeval, but there was a surprise ending in last weeks show that Who, under itís current team anyway, would never have had to guts to pull off.

On the effects side, I think the Planet of the Dead specialís FX were truly horrible and whilst Primevalís arenít Hollywood standard, they are improvingly steadily especially for the amount per episode. It was good to see Planet of the Dead shot outside of Cardiff, Primevalís first two seasons had loads of location work doubling for Pre-historic and future landscapes.

Whilst I am a massive Who fan, I just feel that it has been let down by the season long arcs theyíve attempted to pull off. Iím hoping that new Who show runner does a good-a-job with the shows overall direction as he has with this individual episodes.

Jennifer P
April 20th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Guys, can we please bear in mind that US viewers have had precisely, what, two eps of Primeval in this thread?

(Which have not impressed me enough to even keep watching, and with me, that's a bar)

Isserley
April 27th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Guys, can we please bear in mind that US viewers have had precisely, what, two eps of Primeval in this thread?

Umm, no offense but that isn't correct. BBC America has shown more than 10 Primeval episodes... not sure whether it is considered one or two full seasons.

Personally, I like both of the shows and don't think I could fairly compare the two... it is like apples and oranges. Dr. Who is so deliciously campy where Primeval seems to take itself a bit more seriously. I think it would be easier to compare Primeval to Torchwood (another favorite) because the formats are similar and easier to compare. Overall, I think all three shows are great - the hardest part for me is the way "seasons" run in the UK. I hate waiting so long for a new set of episodes on the BBCA, you practically forget what happened the season before. :D

Primeval, being the newest of the 3 series I mentioned to run on BBCA, is probably the one I am least invested in at the moment. I like it, but missed a few episodes in the middle and began to feel a little bit lost. Looking forward to the repeats of episodes in order to catch up. I agree with you Wulfa, that of the 3 shows, it definitely does the best job of running a season long story arc that works with the "monster of the week." Probably why missing a few episodes tripped me up more with this show vs. Dr. Who or Torchwood!

At first, I thought Dr. Who was a bit cheesy, but it soon bacame a guilty pleasure. It is one of those shows that sort of sneaks up on you, ya know? I am disappointed that David Tennant left, but also curious to see the next reincarnation of Dr. Who. BBCA hasn't aired any shows with the new Doctor yet.

Right now, Torchwood is still my favorite BBCA series, but the next series may reveal a very different Torchwood with some of the characters gone after last season. I always liked the ensemble feel of past episodes, so I hope it isn't lost as characters come and go. Plus the next installment is only 5 episodes - not nearly enough!

Anyway, just my two cents on the subject...

Jennifer P
April 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM
No offense, but BBC America is a premium channel for many people. I, for example, would have to pay somewhere between $40-50 extra to get it (as I would have to increase my level of service *and* then pay extra for the channel).

I am sure I'm not the only person here who has to wait for these things to come on SciFi, so...just watch it with the spoilers.

Isserley
April 28th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I gotcha... like I said, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Supposedly, you can also download many of the episodes for free at: http://primeval.edogo.com/. I haven't tried downloading anything, so I don't know how well it works.

Truce?

redlily
May 6th, 2009, 09:40 PM
yes I totally agree with your idea~

[MOD EDIT: Signatures are not permitted at SFFWorld, nor are off-site links selling things-Rob B]