PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Shorter Fiction Work

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

KatG
April 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I can't find this story in my records, but it's been on my mind. I'm pretty sure it was published in Asimov's Magazine, but I can't be completely certain. It was in the 1990's. It's a SF story about a near future time and they've genetically engineered a dog to have the intelligence of a 4-5 year old, and the dog is acting as a sort of bodyguard and most of the story is told from the pov of the dog. If this rings a bell for anyone, and you can tell me the title or author of the story, I'd be grateful.

OrphuofIo
April 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I can't find this story in my records, but it's been on my mind. I'm pretty sure it was published in Asimov's Magazine, but I can't be completely certain. It was in the 1990's. It's a SF story about a near future time and they've genetically engineered a dog to have the intelligence of a 4-5 year old, and the dog is acting as a sort of bodyguard and most of the story is told from the pov of the dog. If this rings a bell for anyone, and you can tell me the title or author of the story, I'd be grateful.

The only story that rings a bell is Heinleins' "A Tenderfoot In Space, but it was published in Boys' Life in 1958.

Nixie -- the dog, and his boy Charlie are moving to Venus with Charlie's parents. The story is mostly told from Nixies' point of view.

KatG
April 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks, sounds interesting, but that's not it. It was a 1990's story, mid-1990's I think.

uncwilult02
May 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
I read a story in Asimov's were all dogs had improved intelligence, could talk and operate machines and what not. All men died in a plague released during war, and the story was pov from a dog about how they were coping with the loss of humans. It ends with the dogs flying to Africa to capture apes, in attempt to then engineer them back into humans. Sound right? I have no idea what issue it is in but I have around somewhere.

HayNonnyMoose
January 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Maybe "A Boy and His Dog" By Harlan Ellison?

suciul
January 28th, 2010, 10:25 PM
The one story I remember that sounds sort of like this is The Dog Said Bow Wow by M Swanwick (part of a series with the same characters) but it's from 02

http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0206/bowwow.shtml

stinkycats
January 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM
You can probably find the story in one of the "The Year's Best Science Fiction" by Gardner Dozois collections, one of either the fifth, sixth, seventh, or eighth volumes. If it's not in that series, there was another "year's best" type collection I was reading at the time that I'll have to look up.

The story is mostly about how in the future, after a genetic war attack/accident where animals become more intelligent and humans much less, a dog leads a boy (and a handful of other animals) to a science facility for some sort of cure or technology for a currently happening problem (not for the original genetic intelligence incident).

I remember the story because there was a scene in there where the boy, declaring he had become a man (he had a nocturnal emission), has sex with the female dog. One of their animal traveling companions (I think it was a raccoon) was going on something like: "Oh, this is SO wrong!", which I interpreted in my head like a stand-up comedian.

Well, it was funny to me at the time.

[EDIT]
Well, that didn't take long to find: The Coon Rolled Down and Ruptured His Larinks, A Squeezed Novel by Mr. Skunk, by Dafydd ab Hugh