PDA

View Full Version : Late 1970s sf book trying to remember "Changeling"?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

razorx
April 20th, 2009, 08:02 PM
First post :)

Driving me crazy.

I wanted to say it was Zelazny but synopsis doesn't remind me when i looked it up on Amazon. Essentially it is about a group of people who are able to summon world portals in the shape of rings. As you pass through the ring, you maintain your identity, but your physical shape is translated to the "equivalent" form on the other side (different planet). These rings are just "floating" around where regular humans are not able to perceive them and the "special" people can with varying degrees of abilities in mentally pulling the ring to them vs. needing to go to it.

I want to think it was a "classic" sci-fi author maybe a woman? The term "zero" keeps popping into my head at the same time... Title of the book probably isn't "changeling" i guess...

ugh.

help?

Chuffalump
April 21st, 2009, 01:54 AM
Essentially it is about a group of people who are able to summon world portals in the shape of rings. As you pass through the ring, you maintain your identity, but your physical shape is translated to the "equivalent" form on the other side (different planet). These rings are just "floating" around where regular humans are not able to perceive them and the "special" people can with varying degrees of abilities in mentally pulling the ring to them vs. needing to go to it.

Part of this sounds a bit like Piers Anthony. He had a series where special people (with a large kirlian aura???) could travel to other worlds. When they arrived they took the form of the local species.

The rest isn't familiar but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

razorx
April 22nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but not it. I am not delusional, but then again, I was delusional when I had placed an order for the "Star Wars" (wasn't the actual name but it was by George Lucas) book at the library (1976) with all 9 stories (not just star wars) back before Star Wars the movie released. It was cancelled by the publisher after I placed the order. I apparently invented that one, false memory I guess.

But, this is not a false one though since I clearly remember the plot.

Hereford Eye
April 22nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Jack Chalker wrote a series, The Lords of the Diamond, where a character translated four times into different forms. It was the same character - sort of - in all the forms. Chalker being Chalker, it was never as simple as that.
He wrote another series folk could be translated into different forms. Mavra Chang stands out in my memory and the title was @ The Well of Souls. Come to think of it, everything I can remember Chalker writing involved transformation.

anotherjennifer
April 23rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Was the main character a girl? I'm looking for the title of something that sounds similar, where the world a ring would send you to was indicated by the color of the ring - blue rings sent you to a water world, for instance.

razorx
April 23rd, 2009, 06:40 PM
Was the main character a girl? I'm looking for the title of something that sounds similar, where the world a ring would send you to was indicated by the color of the ring - blue rings sent you to a water world, for instance.

It has to be the same book, there were several main characters I think that were female. Maybe it is an Andre Norton thing... I'll check on that angle.

razorx
April 24th, 2009, 03:15 PM
It has to be the same book, there were several main characters I think that were female. Maybe it is an Andre Norton thing... I'll check on that angle.

Not an Andre Norton book after checking. I think the "Changeling" is a word block in my mind from remembering the real title though it is similar. I even remember the artwork on the cover, just not the blasted title. It was a "popular" author I believe, and it was a relatively short book compared to the mid 80s+ bloat in sci-fi/Fantasy.

Rob B
April 24th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Maybe the future you is speaking to you telling you to write a book called Changeling about a person who goes into the past and changes their identity?

razorx
April 24th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Maybe the future you is speaking to you telling you to write a book called Changeling about a person who goes into the past and changes their identity?

Maybe I already have done that and just don't remember... :eek:

Yobmod
May 5th, 2009, 08:43 AM
My first thought was also a Chalker series: Flux and Anchor (aka Soul Rider), which has portals into a world where "felsh is mutable" so ppl tend to forms that match their insides.

The only other SF one i read was The Saga of the Well World series: "While exploring the planet, they are inadvertently transported to the Well World, they must deal with being changed into bizarre alien creatures." I never finished it, but suspect that the characters can go into the "well of souls" repeatedly, getting new bodies.

Many of his works have people travelling to different worlds and getting a new form: Changewinds & Dancing Gods series' have transformations when going to magical lands.