PDA

View Full Version : post-apocalypse civilization along Miss River? nomads?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

msubio74
April 26th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I read this book years ago. centered around city-states along miss river system that have recently reached a truce with nomads living out on great plains. i think the book i read was the second of a series. i dont remember much else about the plot, it has been a really long time since reading it. i do remember that i really liked it though. oh, the important part, a group of humans living in a fall out shelter have finally come out. i think it has something to do with the spring and fall equinox. also, the river city dwellers look at the nomads as barbarians. as best as i can remember.

thanks in advance.

jason

Triffid
April 27th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Amtrak wars series by Patrick Tilley?

worldmaker
April 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Amtrak wars series by Patrick Tilley?

I agree with Triffid - It has to be Amtrack - high technology versus "natives" in the wild.

:cool:

msubio74
April 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM
amtrak wars is a good guess, but not it. in this book the nomads or plains dwellers are regular humans, not muties. and they have just signed a peace deal with the people living along the river in cities. i remeber this because some of the river people were traveling somewhere in a boat and someone threw a spear at them. it was some of the nomads who were out of the loop so to speak and did not realize that they were at peace now.

thanks for the try though.

jason

i wish i could remember just a little more. it is from at least the mid to late 80's though. same time frame as the amtrak wars were written.

Triffid
April 28th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Probably too recent but perhaps its - kingdom River - the 2nd book in Mitchell Smith's Snowfall trilogy which has a river setting and tribes allying. I read the 1st book (which I thought was awful) - don't recall any mention of a fallout shelter though.

Otherwise Duende Meadow by Paul Cook? Has the fallout shelter in Kansas plains. Not part of a series though. Haven't read it so don't know what else is in the plot.