PDA

View Full Version : short story about object hitting earth

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

metamike
April 27th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I remember I read a story a while ago that was in a composition of other SciFi short stories, but I forgot what the actual story was called, or who it was by.

Basically, it's a short story in which there's a group of unbelievably intelligent gentlemen who get together every now and then, and tell stories. After someone tells a story, the rest of the guys bet on whether it was true or a lie. A stranger joins their group one day, and the SciFi Short Story itself is about how this stranger is telling the group of intelligent men a completely realistic discovery he had made that the earth would be destroyed by an invisible object hitting the earth. The story ends a bit after when the comet was supposed to actually hit, and you're left without knowing whether the story the stranger told was true or false.

Anyone know what this was?

uncwilult02
May 1st, 2009, 02:55 PM
This sounds like it if definitely one of the "Tales from the White Hart" by Arthur C Clarke. A bunch of regulars meet at a secret bar and swap such stories, usually with questions about the reality of them being poised. Strangers coming in with questionable stories probably happened in quite a few of them, and they were always treated harshly.

B5B7
May 6th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Or it could be one of Spider Robinson's 'Callahan's Saloon' stories.

Jim diGriz
May 11th, 2009, 06:05 PM
This is "Super-Neutron" by Asimov, it can be found in the "Early Asimov" collection. It had been his intention at the time to write a series of stories revolving around 'The Honorable Society of Ananias' but in the end this was the only one.