PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Muess
April 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Ok, I'm really just bragging because it came out over here two days before the rest of the world but I went and saw this yesterday and I must say it was my favourite X-Franchise movie to date.

Being an old fan (dropped off recently but to give you an idea of how fanatic I was; I had a near complete run of the original Uncanny X-Men comics up to issue 300) of the X-Men I haven't been overly enthused with the recent re-envisaging of the brand but I really enjoyed this one. The cast was generally good - particularly the leads - and there were enough big bangs to entertain and plot twists to keep it interesting.

Best superhero movie of the year so far for me ;)

Bond
May 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM
Um, I saw it yesterday. X-Men movies don't do it for me and the same for this one. Some good action snippets here and there but my overall reaction is meh. The drama just doesn't come alive for some reason. I'd equate it to something like Superman Returns in the superhero movie totem pole.

Tidus
May 4th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Yea the movie was ok, but nothing to brag about.

Rob B
May 4th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Better than I expected.

Hobbit
May 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Better than I expected.

Yes, I'd agree with that.

For those yet to watch: stay until the very end of the credits!

There were some cliches, some nice action scenes and lots of opportunities to see cuddly ol' Hugh with a vest on or off. :D

(That might help sell tickets, evidently: According to the news sources here, it had a very good opening and, unlike the other XMen movies, had about 45% of the ticket sales to women.)

Mark

JebStryke
May 4th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but it better be good if it's pre-release hype included selling out this much (http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/04/okay_wolverine_might_have_possibly_sold_out.php#co mments).

Evil Agent
May 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. No, sorry, this movie was very disappointing. I saw it last night, and it was definitely the worst of all the X-Men films. It had the same problems as X3, but worse.

Hugh Jackman was great. Liv Schrieber was awesome as Sabretooth. But the story is just muddled, rushed, and (worst of all) kind of boring. They tried to pack in WAY too much, and the whole third act was just uninspired and completely predictable. And the effects (especially the claws) were horrible (people were laughing in the theatre at the horrible CGI).

I will still say this: it was better than I expected. But that's because the critics are all slamming this film. Over at Rottentomatoes.com it has an average rating of only 36% (and 15% if you look only at the top critics!). I didn't think it was that bad, and it had a few decent moments. But come on... for a Wolverine Origin movie, it was very weak. Most of the interesting parts of his origin were glossed over in the opening credits!!! Any of that stuff would have been far more interesting and engaging than the main storyline we got (if there even was one). There was barely any character development, not even on the main two guys. The story never really went anywhere. Honestly, this was a huge disappointment for me because Wolverine is one of my favourite characters and I really think he deserved a much better script. The script is a mess.

With all the negative reviews, I'm surprised it made nearly $90 million in the opening weekend. I predict a big drop-off over the next couple weekends, however, especially as Star Trek is opening this weekend (to raving reviews) and Terminator shortly afterwards.

Anyways, I didn't hate it. It just should have been way better.

Eldanuumea
May 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM
It was okay. I didn't go in expecting a cinematic breakthrough classic, but just expecting to have a god time, and I did.

I thought meeting Gambit was pretty cool. My daughter told me many people have been disappointed by the lack of Gambit's presence in the other films. I have never read the Marvel series, and had no idea who Gambit was. But heh, a Cajun mutant? I can get into that!:D

As for CGI, it's really becoming annoying....filmmakers use way too much of it these days. Leave something to our imaginations, please.