View Full Version : A question about the foundation series of Asimov

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

positron
May 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Is there anyone who has read all the books of Asimove's Foundation series carefully? I have a question.

At the end of Forward the Foundation's Part I, it reads:
"Seldon stood there for a few minutes after Daneel had gone, lost in thought. Suddenly he began moving in the direction of the First Ministerís apartment. Seldon had one more thing to tell Daneel--the most important thing of all."

What is "the most important thing"? anybody knows? I had read the whole Foundation series, Empire series and Robot series, but still have no idea.

suciul
May 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Maybe reading the Benford/Brin/Bear last 3 Foundation volumes will help

positron
May 18th, 2009, 12:34 AM
you mean the Second Foundation Trilogy? I have not read them yet.

positron
June 14th, 2009, 03:47 AM
No other one knows?

JunkMonkey
June 14th, 2009, 08:40 PM
That his flies were open?

ThePsychoticCat
June 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Daneel is the most re-occurring character in Asimov's writing (I think?). I would suggest finishing up the foundation series and then delving into his other novels.

JunkMonkey
June 16th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Daneel appears in more stories than Susan Calvin?

ThePsychoticCat
June 16th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Haha well I'm not sure. I should rectify my statement perhaps. She's definitely in more of the short stories, but I think daneel appears more in the novels. Once again, not completely sure, thanks for keeping me on my toes.

positron
June 18th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Daneel does appear in the short stories of Robot series such as "Mirror Image", but only several stories, maybe less than 5. But Susan Calvin appears in more than 10 stories.

In the Robot series, Daneel mainly appear in the novels, Lije Baley trilogy, Daneel does not appear in the Empire series.

In the Foundation series, Daneel appears in Prelude to Foundation, Forward the Foundation, Foundation and Earth. In Prelude to Foundation and the Part I of Forward the Foundation, Daneel appears always and plays an important role.

In the Foundation series, there are more riddles. First, at the end of Robots and Empire, Giskard told Daneel that the Solarians must be found as it may be very important. And at the end of Foundation and Earth, Daneel chooses a Solarians child as his successor, this can be the answer of Giskard's words. But the new riddle appears. Trevize mentions that maybe there are other intelligences in other galaxies, which may impinge on us. After this, he mentioned other danger at once: "it is not as though we had the enemy already here and among us." And the book also reads: "And he did not look down to meet the brooding eyes of Fallom-hermaphroditic, transductive, different-as they rested, unfathomably, on him. "

In Seldon's theory, just as Trevize had mentioned, there is a connotative hypothesis that we are the only intelligence in the Galaxy, but Seldon dose not know Solarians. The Solarians can be considered as a new intelligence, although they are from us, but they are already different. Does Seldon's important thing is he wants to know if we are the only intelligence in the Galaxy and if Daneel can make sure it?

Asimov gave a uncertain end at the end of Foundation and Earth, which role Fallom will play of in the Galaxy? And in the second Empire?

ThePsychoticCat
June 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Wow that's quite the comprehensive answer. The same questions go through my mind. I bought the continuation of the foundation series that is "authorized by the estate of Isaac Asimov" but it'll never be the same. I'm just waiting to read it, I'm still in trepidation.