View Full Version : Masters of the Universe is in dire need of a re-boot

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

jackacid
May 19th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I wish they would re-boot the Masters of the Universe franchise. Such great settings and characters! Always thought it was a perfect blend of sci-fi and fantasy.

I'm surprised no one has looked at this, especially after the popularity of LotR (the closest franchise I could imagine from a film level to compare it to.)

Forget Adam and Cringer or Orko -- watered down characters to make it more accessible for kids. I'm imagining something more serious. It would need to be a darker toned version, certainly more serious than the horrificly campy garbage from years ago.

Anyone with me?

DailyRich
May 19th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Somebody's way ahead of you. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3if21dd856cfb9103e324a67c37b80b5c5)

kater
May 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Dolph Lundgren is the one true He-Man and I can't be a part of something that doesn't involve him :D

jackacid
May 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Somebody's way ahead of you. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3if21dd856cfb9103e324a67c37b80b5c5)

Ah ha! This makes a lot of sense. Again, the genre is too ripe right now for Hollywood to not be working on something.

Here's to hoping it's not another butcher job.

EDIT: Hmmm, they might already be blowing it by even including Adam. He's a worthless side of the character. There is no reason that He-Man needs a "secret identity" or should be portrayed as some "Garyskull incarnate". What happened to good old fashioned Conan-style?

We'll see.

jackacid
May 19th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Dolph Lundgren is the one true He-Man and I can't be a part of something that doesn't involve him :D

Where's the "flog" emoticon? ;)

Hopefully you don't think the same thing about the Punisher :D

DailyRich
May 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM
The original Masters of the Universe film is about as close as we're likely to get to a Jack Kirby Fourth World movie, so I have a bit of a soft spot for it.

jackacid
May 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM
The original Masters of the Universe film is about as close as we're likely to get to a Jack Kirby Fourth World movie, so I have a bit of a soft spot for it.

True, I can appreciate it as a cult classic, but it dpoesn't come close to capturing the true magic of the original premise to me.

kater
May 19th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Where's the "flog" emoticon? ;)

It's the big red button flashing in my Mod Panel right now :D

Hopefully you don't think the same thing about the Punisher :D

Garth Ennis created the one true Punisher and no other medium shall have him, not even the Dolph ;)

Quoted for truth.

jackacid
May 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
It's the big red button flashing in my Mod Panel right now :D

Nooooo, no death by mod! :p

CaroleValentin
May 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM
I also subscribe to a similar concept and using site http://www.griefster.com/
Successfully.