View Full Version : Yikes......T4 is getting torched in reviews

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

jackacid
May 21st, 2009, 02:15 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. I was worried when I saw the writers were the same at Catwoman, not to mention I can't stand Joe Nichol....I'm sorry, "McG".

I hope it's better than what I'm reading, but my expectations are officially at zero.

Anyone seen it? Any good at all?

Ana Khouri
May 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
My criteria for a good movie:

1. Are there robots?

2. Does stuff blow up?

By these standards, Terminator: Salvation should be the best movie ever made. ;)

Tidus
May 22nd, 2009, 01:43 AM
I'm with Ana Khouri on this one. Can't wait for T4 and the critics can stick their reviews where the sun don't shine.

DailyRich
May 22nd, 2009, 05:53 AM
My criteria for a good movie:

1. Are there robots?

2. Does stuff blow up?

By these standards, Terminator: Salvation should be the best movie ever made. ;)

The movie has both, and yet is completely lifeless. Nothing of significance happens -- everyone is pretty much in the same boat at the end as they were in the beginning. It really felt like a placeholder for a fifth film that'll have what we want to see in it.

hippokrene
May 23rd, 2009, 04:52 AM
I friend of mine said it was a great movie.

She has trouble sleeping and it's apparently more effective than a glass of red wine.

Modern Day Myth
May 23rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. I was worried when I saw the writers were the same at Catwoman, not to mention I can't stand Joe Nichol....I'm sorry, "McG".

I hope it's better than what I'm reading, but my expectations are officially at zero.

Anyone seen it? Any good at all?

The movie earns a 3 out of 5 stars: good action, acting, special effects, sets. That's what seperates Hollywood productions from independent films. Budget has everything to do with that. A better title would be "What if Atomic Cyborg a.k.a. Hands Of Steel Met John Connor?" Only with a budget of the very rich, there's no excuse for making the cyborg in T4 so much less empathetic than the cyborg Paco Quevack in Hands Of Steel, which was made low budget in Italy.

Just like T3, T4 makes John Connor look dumb, instead of a formative foe for Skynet who can counter Skynet attacks by thinking more creatively than a machine.

The movie makes a weak attempt to make up their own phiposophy that a man's heart is what seperates us from the machines. It's nothing like the deep philosophy in T2 that for humans, "It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." That Arnold tells the teenage John Connor as he watches young kids playing games with toy guns and witnesses the violence in the world around him.

T4 is weak in story.

jackacid
May 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Well that's the gist of the negative I've heard - it's inane.

And really, I expect some story with a Terminator film. T3 fell short there too, it felt like they were trying to re-kindle T2 too much.

It's a general issue with Hollywood -- lowest common denomenator rules. As I mentioned in my original post, the people making this thing have less than stellar track records, so a sub-par product can't susprise anyone.

Daddy Darth
May 27th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I'll still see it - probably rental. T2 remains one of the best movies ever. They never took advantage of the story and heart that was in that one to spring board to the future with John Conner - wondering if they ever will. T3 was a movie that just didnt matter and this will probably be the same - albeit looking cool doing so.

Modern Day Myth
May 27th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Yeah! T2 is by far the best.

T4 could have been great, if they really showed us how John Connor rose up to become the leader of the human resistance. Show us his special qualities. That just never happened.

Evil Agent
May 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
It really felt like a placeholder for a fifth film that'll have what we want to see in it.That is EXACTLY how I felt after seeing the LAST one, "T3: Rise of the Machines".

Anyways, yes this is getting bad reviews. The consensus on RottenTomatoes is 33% (Yikes, that's even worse than the 36% that Wolverine got!). Looks like Star Trek is clearly the critic's choice from among the May 2009 Blockbusters.