PDA

View Full Version : Angels & Demons

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

BrightStar
May 26th, 2009, 08:08 AM
So, I went to see Angels and Demons the other day, and thought I'd post a topic up about it here to see what others thought of it.

In short, I was not impressed. Watching Angels and Demons was like watching part mystery/thriller, part documentary on the history of the Catholic Church. Unfortunately, it didn't go well for me. Angels and Demons was crammed full of far too many ideas, none of which had any real chance to shine amidst all the rest.

The characters were pretty dull, and I didn't care or have any interest in any of them. There is a scene about halfway through the movie, where the main character is in danger. As he tries to escape his situation, the tenshion grows. Will he succeed in time? Unfortunately, it did not work for me and I sat back and watched his efforts with something more like bored impatience.

The movie is also pretty predictable, although there were twists near the end that some might see coming (I didn't, but my brother did). Overall though, once the conflict has been set up, the rest of the movie (in terms of its direction) is very predictable.

This worked out to be a good thing for me though, since I was bored. It at least gave me a fairly accurate timeline to work from, so at least I could estimate how much more if it I had left to endure.

If you liked The Da Vinci Code, I think that you would probably enjoy Angels and Demons. I did not like The Da Vinci Code at all, but I'd hoped that my lack of expectations with Angels and Demons would mean I'd be more easily pleased by it. I wanted to see it because I have a real interest in this type of moive, but Angels and Demons just dissapointed. I was sorry I wasted my money paying to see it at the movies. I wish I'd have waited to rent the DVD/borrow from a friend.

Bond
May 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I heard the book Angels and Demons was better than the book The Da Vinci Code. I can attest that for the movie versions that is true.

I thought Angels and Demons was a good diversion. Anyone who liked National Treasure and its sequel National Treasure: Book of Secrets will probably like this one. It's more dramatic though and not meant to be as campy. A couple of overly dramatic speeches and incidents that were a bit wince inducing were made up for by a more suspense driven narrative. Shouldn't be as offensive as The Da Vinci Code was to Christians either although on second thought it probably still will be.

BrightStar
May 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Shouldn't be as offensive as The Da Vinci Code was to Christians either although on second thought it probably still will be.

I'm sure there's a lot for Christian/Catholics to be offended about, and for the most part of the movie, I kinda got the sense it was very anti-church.

The end seemed to leave me with a different impression.

There was a comment made by one character (can't remember which one) who basically commented that it was not god that was flawed, but religion. And religion is flawed because man is flawed.

That was actually the most meaningful thing I got out of the entire movie.