PDA

View Full Version : Help...forgot name of short story...man/alone/dark/rocket base/creature

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Prethen
June 4th, 2009, 09:24 PM
The key words I noted above don't help in a Google search. It's probably quite an old story that I recently read in an anthology that I've already given away. Basically, a man needs to head back to a rocket base (I forget why, maybe so that he can go back home). He's on some alien moon-like world. It's dark (night time?) and I believe he's in a space suit. All he has to keep him company is his thoughts and rumors that there's a creature out there that could kill him. He almost makes it to within site of the rocket base when he hears the rumored sound the creature makes right around the corner...he's toast. Tragic ending.

What's the story and who wrote it???

Thanks!!!

uncwilult02
June 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hello. I just read that one a few months ago I think it's Arthur C. Clarke. I'll check when I get home.

B5B7
June 4th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Yes, it's Arthur C. Clarke's 'A Walk in the Dark'

Prethen
June 5th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks, I'll have to check into that story title. I read an excerpt on the Net and it seemed slightly different from what I recall: "A man of a high-tech community is forced by circumstances to walk for a few hours on a lonely road in a wilderness with no moon & little starlight. In a region that locals believe is kind of haunted, & has a monster on the loose!"

For some reason, he wasn't able just to turn back, right? I think he was basically out of luck. I also recalled that he remembered the rumored creature to make some sort of clicking noise?

Thanks!

Prethen
June 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I just reread the story "A Walk in the Dark". It was great reading it again. I wanted to find it again because I think it would make a great campfire horror story (especially if it's whittled down a bit).