View Full Version : Please, help me find a book abot space jumping

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Martin Ekdahl
June 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I once read a book about all these astronauts using an ancient space station with a space jumping device. They sat in some kind of pods and where thrown into some hyperspace to unknown destinations (a little bit like Stargate). That was a part of the mystery; They never knew who it was that built the station and neither did they know where they were going. One of the pods for example ended up by a black hole and were sucked into it. Please help me find this book (or if it was a series of books). I would love to read it again.

suciul
June 5th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I once read a book about all these astronauts using an ancient space station with a space jumping device. They sat in some kind of pods and where thrown into some hyperspace to unknown destinations (a little bit like Stargate). That was a part of the mystery; They never knew who it was that built the station and neither did they know where they were going. One of the pods for example ended up by a black hole and were sucked into it. Please help me find this book (or if it was a series of books). I would love to read it again.

Sounds like the famous and excellent for its time Gateway by F. Pohl (with numerous weaker and weaker sequels)

Martin Ekdahl
June 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Sounds like the famous and excellent for its time Gateway by F. Pohl (with numerous weaker and weaker sequels)

I think that you are right. Thank you Suciul. I will check it out at once.

JunkMonkey
June 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Sounds exactly like Gateway (which is still excellent - though I agree about the sequels).

Martin Ekdahl
June 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I've never read the sequels. How many are there?

JunkMonkey
June 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM
From Wikipedia:

Heechee

* The Merchants of Venus (1972) (novella in The Gold at the Starbow's End)

1. Gateway (1977) (winner of the Hugo Award and Nebula Award)
2. Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (1980)
3. Heechee Rendezvous (1984)
4. Annals of the Heechee (1987)
5. The Gateway Trip (1990)
6. The Boy Who Would Live Forever: A Novel of Gateway (2004)

Martin Ekdahl
June 12th, 2009, 04:38 AM
From Wikipedia:

Does Beyond the Blue Event Horizon have anything to do with the exploding blue star (or if it was a black hole) in Gateway?

mylinar
June 12th, 2009, 09:06 AM
It has been years since I read Beyond the Blue Event Horizon, but my memory is that it was a return to the Black Hole. Also it involved recovering the woman who's loss so tortured the PC (Robin) in the first book. This sequel was OK, and I read the third but none of the later books.

Martin Ekdahl
June 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
It has been years since I read Beyond the Blue Event Horizon, but my memory is that it was a return to the Black Hole. Also it involved recovering the woman who's loss so tortured the PC (Robin) in the first book. This sequel was OK, and I read the third but none of the later books.

I think I'll buy the whole series on Amazon to see what I think about it.

JunkMonkey
June 14th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I'm reading it at the moment. Beyond the Blue Event Horizon mostly concerns the discovery and recovery of the Heechee CHON food factory. No rescuing women from black holes - unless it happens in the last couple of chapters which seems unlikely.