PDA

View Full Version : Transformers 2....the making of a good sequel (i.e this moving is goiing to be rad)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

megamanbanana
June 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I usually am very apprehensive about movie sequels as they more often then not are always awful.

But it seems there is a longstanding trend, especially recently with comic book movies that when the original director stays on board its almost always of equal or better quality.

Examples
Godfather
Tim Burton's batman
Spiderman
x-men
C. Nolan's Batman

Typically with a director switch mid series, it totally ruins the franchise. (Ahem Batman Forever, jaws )

This leads me to believe Transformer's 2 under the control of Mr. Bay is going to be rad as hell. That and the trailers look amazing and devastator.

Anyone else notice this?

TheThing
June 17th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I usually am very apprehensive about movie sequels as they more often then not are always awful.

But it seems there is a longstanding trend, especially recently with comic book movies that when the original director stays on board its almost always of equal or better quality.

Examples
Godfather
Tim Burton's batman
Spiderman
x-men
C. Nolan's Batman

Typically with a director switch mid series, it totally ruins the franchise. (Ahem Batman Forever, jaws )

This leads me to believe Transformer's 2 under the control of Mr. Bay is going to be rad as hell. That and the trailers look amazing and devastator.

Anyone else notice this?
You make a good point. Director changes don't help sequels with the rare exception (Final Destination 2 for example). The buzz around ROTF is really good and there's many a trailer & more @ comicbookmovie.com (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Transformers2) should you want to up the ante on this topic.

Tidus
June 22nd, 2009, 05:26 AM
Can't wait for the next Transformers 2, Hopefully there will be more fight's in this one.

Muess
June 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Went and saw it a few days ago. It's not bad, more of the same as the first one really. So if you enjoyed the first one you'll like this one equally as much.

Evil Agent
June 25th, 2009, 11:51 AM
The critics are giving it pretty bad reviews, which is disappointing. I remember liking the first one, but thinking that the sequel could be WAY better. I am glad to hear that this one has way more robots (the first one had too much human, not enough robot)... but apparently this one is two and a half hours, which does sound a little too long. Oh well, I'll be seeing it this weekend regardless.

Esmenet
June 25th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I saw it yesterday. I agree with the critics.

Here are my main problems:

1. As a director, you should establish which audience you are going to target in your film. Usually one or two will suffice. This movie targeted families, teens, african americans, red necks, and people who enjoy looking at Megan Fox. If you are going to target a family audience, do not put pointless swearing into it. Also, we get it. Megan Fox is smoking hot. However, do not zoom in on her boobs when she is running, or her ass when she is bent at odd angles all the time. There were a ton of little kids in the theater, which I found odd, but there was a few elements of the movie that would have been entertaining for all ages. Sam's mom getting high, Robots making comments like "son of a b****" or "you're just a p****" while funny, were not following the whole "family" target. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think I ever saw "hick/ghetto" transformers in the cartoon. There were two robots that were a mix between stereotypical red necks who don't read, and ghetto african americans with gold teeth. I don't know what Bay was thinking.
2. Once you pick a target audience, you know what you can include and get rid of in your film. Because there were so many targets, the movie went ON AND ON AND ON AND ON! There was the corny "I love you thing" between Mikayla and Sam, the parents as bait, and the "i'm your father I'm going with you" crap. It just got really sentimental, and don't get me wrong, that would have been fine, had the movie not already been almost 3 hours long.
3. This is nit picking, but there were a few instances where I was thinking (SPOILTER) Forgive me, but I have yet to figure out how to make that spoiler box thing:"Umm...so there's one Decepticon that can defeat every other Autobot out there, and the only thing that can defeat him is a Prime, who is dead...but he's just going to hide out until they bring Optimus back to life, so he can kill him."

Other than that, there were some pretty hilarious parts to it, the action kept the movie flowing for the most part, and the conclusion was ok. Compared to the first one, this movie is crap. As a stand alone, it was pretty damn good.

TheThing
June 25th, 2009, 12:19 PM
As will I. Got my Imax tickets and am really looking forward to it. Sure the critics are panning the sequel but most of them are old enough to admire Spok's earlobes but miss the point when it comes to Transformers. It's about the bots (http://www.tf2cards.com), not plot continuity or a story. Read what the fans are saying and not the critics.The beginning of the first film opened simple with a description of 'the cube' as giver of all life in the universe - anything goes from there and that's good enough for me.

Evil Agent
June 25th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I've seen many reviewers complaining about too many robots, and saying "You know when the robots are more interesting than the humans, that we have a problem here". However, I totally disagree, and I would venture to guess that most oldschool Transformers fans who grew up with the cartoon in the 1980s feel the same way. We want more robots, and less humans.

saintjon
June 27th, 2009, 10:44 AM
The rule of changing directors making for bad sequels is not always true. James Cameron's Aliens was one of the best sequels ever, and I actually wished they had gotten him to do Transformers 1 and 2 and however many they make, IMO the first one was good in spite of Michael Bay, not because of him. I haven't seen the second one yet but I suspect I will feel the same way. Anyone who doesn't believe me can compare Terminator 2 to ANY action movie by Michael Bay and you tell me who directs better shooty/explosive type action scenes, there is no comparison.

Esmenet
June 27th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I agree with you, saintjon, although I enjoyed the first one a lot more than I thought I would.