PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Civil War; Where to Start, what to read?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Corporal Blues
July 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
If I wanted to read the Marvel Civil War comics, where should I begin, and what comics should I read? Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

kater
July 7th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I think if you got the main Civil War story (Civil War #1-#7) plus the Civil War Iron Man and Captain America stories you really don't need to worry about the rest, all the other stories were just big cash-ins for the disjointed main story.

Corporal Blues
July 7th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the response Kater...Is the series worth reading? Or should I steer clear of it? I'm pretty much a comics novice.

kater
July 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM
It's the event before the last event if you like. Every 12-18 months, summer time mostly, Marvel and DC have big events to attract new readers (in theory) and sell a bunch of comics. Trouble is every event has to be big and brash, essentially topping the last one, so every couple of years if not more often their 'universes' suffer paradigm shifts for the sake of the buck. Making it difficult to find somewhere to jump on as a new reader.

Civil War was a poor event imo and for what it's worth I'd save your money, since then we've had Secret Invasion finishing relatively recently and now Dark Reign which amongst other things overturns most of import that happened in Civil War :) I think there are a good selection of Marvel stories worth following out now but I'd advise starting at Secret Invasion, if not after, otherwise there's so much to catch up on between Civil War and now, not much of it good, it would cost a fortune and be a waste of time.

I can sum up Civil War in a paragraph for you if you want, lots of spoilers:
Iron Man wants all the costumed heroes to register with the government after a group of young heroes tried to take down a powerful villain, who during the fight blew up a school, killing hundreds of children and outraging America.

Captain America disagrees with this, the idea of all the heroes family and friends on a government database somewhere doesn't sit well with him and all the danger it would cause. The various heroes thus split into two groups, pro-registration with Iron Man and anti-registration with Cap. The anti-reg heroes go underground. Any hero not registered who is caught by the authorities is put in a super-prison built by Reed Richards in a place called the negative zone. After several skirmishes and a few nobodies die, the ant-reg heroes break into the prison to free the innocent, the pro-reg forces are waiting.

Cue big fight that spills out eventually into New York, lots of passersby and property damaged. Cap realises the damage being done and gives himself up. On the steps of the courthouse at his hearing Cap is shot and killed. Iron Man is heart-broken but given the reins of SHIELD. Bucky Barnes takes over the mantle of Captain America and many heroes remain underground and wanted by the law.

Nickbjorn
July 8th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I'd also recommend reading Civil War: road to civil war which gives some context and background to the events leading up to the main event. Some of these 'prelude to events' comics can be a bit of a rip-off, but I found this one genuinely useful, especially as I'd lost the thread with Marvel comics for a while.

Personally I preferred Civil War to Secret Invasion, because I prefer the less intergalactic elements of the Marvel Universe and while the concept liberty vs control might be cliched, I loved the way it played out amongst the various heroes involved and there are some great action scenes. I've just started reading Dark Reign which like Civil War is more down to earth and so far it's pretty promising.

Of course all these events lead into one another so if you like very long story arcs it's probably worth reading both Civil War and Secret Invasion and then getting into Dark Reign.

Corporal Blues
July 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Hey guys, thanks for your feedback. I'll admit, I'm on the fence about Civil War...like I said, I'm pretty much a comics novice, and after reading stuff like Watchmen, Sin City and The Dark Knight Returns I didn't really know where to turn next, and Civil War was one of the only other "Big" comics storylines I had heard of.

Surt
July 10th, 2009, 03:40 AM
CW is WAY below those comics in quality. I would recommend either reading some of the other classis Batman stories like Arkham Asylum or Year One. Also, check out DC's Vertigo line, which offers a lot of great comics like Sandman, Invisibles, Preacher and Transmetropolitan. Vertigo offers a download of many of the first issues of its titles

http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/graphic_novels/

kater
July 10th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your feedback. I'll admit, I'm on the fence about Civil War...like I said, I'm pretty much a comics novice, and after reading stuff like Watchmen, Sin City and The Dark Knight Returns I didn't really know where to turn next, and Civil War was one of the only other "Big" comics storylines I had heard of.

Might be worth doing a bit of research, as boring as that sounds, what you've listed are all early 80's comics from two of the best creators in their prime - Alan Moore and Frank Miller.
Civil War is part of the ongoing singles market that Marvel prints, so lots of different creators with hugely varying standards. Plus it's an event which are notoriously difficult to get right.

It may be better for you to find work by creators you like rather than go for the latest storylines - more Alan Moore and Frank Miller is never a bad thing :) That way you can try lots of different styles and see what you like, then find creators who do similar work - if you like Alan Moore for instance there's a good chance you'll enjoy Warren Ellis' work. Obviously if you've got certain superheroes you like post a list here and I'm sure we can offer some opinions on titles worth trying.

Corporal Blues
July 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Kater, I can't deny that I've read Moore and Miller because they are well known...that being said, I really enjoyed them. As far a superheroes go that I'd be interested in reading, Batman is definately at the top of the list. As for anyone else, I'm kinda on the fence, I think I'd be more inclined to read characters that aren't your typical well-known hero. Of course, if the writing is well done, I'd enjoy reading about the more well known heroes too. I've been reading some other comics threads here at SFFWORLD and some TPB comics that interest me are Planetary,Kingdom Come, and Starman. Not to mention a few others that seem intersting.

thanks again for everyones responses.

kater
July 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM
They're well known because they've done some of the best work in the industry, nothing wrong with that at all :)